Help

BusyBoard

Google Classroom

>

Teacherbee_4

Google Classroom
Old 12-11-2017, 04:46 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am new to Google Classroom. I'd like to add a document, have the students download it and edit it, then submit it to me. Where do I go in Google Classroom to do this? When they submit it to me, do they just post it on Google Classroom? Or do they send it to me on Drive?

Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 12-11-2017, 04:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

First create the document that you want them to edit. Creating it in Google Docs/Sheets/Slides will make this process 100x easier.

Then go into the class where you want to create the assignment. Click the little plus at the bottom right and choose "create assignment"

A popup box will pop up. Click the Google Drive symbol and your recent docs will be available. Choose the one that you want to give your students.

Choose "Student can edit" if you want everyone to edit the same document). Choose "Make a copy for each student" if everyone is going to get their own copy to fill in.

If everyone gets a copy, they'll just press "turn it in" when they are finished editing and you can look in GC to see that it has been turned in.

(Although this was an enthusiastic and detailed response with limited demographic information from you, I think my response will work for K-12. )
Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

tyrex

Old 12-11-2017, 04:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Lol gromit beat me to it.

Click the plus when you are in Google Classroom, then click to add an assignment. Give the assignment a title and then click the paperclip to attach a document. Attach the doc from your Google Drive or upload from your computer. Then, and this is very important, select the option that says "make a copy for each student." That way they don't need to submit the assignment to you, you can click and see their work in progress in Classroom.

If they share it with you through their Drive, you will have all their docs in separate emails and it is cumbersome to see who has submitted it.
tyrex is online now   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Thanks
Old 12-11-2017, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks, I also Googled it, so I figured out how to assign it and have students submit it.

Now, I need to figure out how to make the template I want to post upload and look like it does. I have a template that I got from TPT that's made on Pages. Our school doesn't have pages. I was able to upload it to my drive as a google docfile, but it won't open then. I made it a Microsoft word document and uploaded it to drive, which allowed it to be opened, but the formatting is all off. I suppose I'll have to create my own, I just don't know how to create my own on Google. Not sure if that even makes sense! ! I'm hoping our tech guy is available tomorrow and can solve this problem easily.

Gromit

Old 12-11-2017, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If you just want them to mark it, you could convert to a PDF and use Kami for marking. But if you want them to type on it, yeah, you're probably going to have to convert to docs.

If you convert it to a Word doc and then upload the Word doc to Drive, it should easily convert to a Google Doc format with minimal formatting errors. Are you opening it as a Word doc or converting to Google docs?

Gromit is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Google Doc
Old 12-11-2017, 06:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Quote:
If you convert it to a Word doc and then upload the Word doc to Drive, it should easily convert to a Google Doc format with minimal formatting errors. Are you opening it as a Word doc or converting to Google docs?
I checked a box in my Google Drive settings that says "Convert uploaded files to Google Docs editor format". The document from TPT is in Word, but I don't have word on my computer at home. It opened in pages, beautifully but when I upload that Pages document to drive and upload that to Google Classroom, it won't open. When I converted the pages file to a word document, it didn't convert nicely-lots of formatting issues. I do have Word at my computer at work, so I'm hoping I can get that to work at work. Otherwise, I will be talking to my tech guy!