Help

BusyBoard

Opinion--this and spelling homework

>

rosieteaches

Opinion--this and spelling homework
Old 12-12-2017, 03:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My students all received Chromebooks last week. Traditionally spelling homework has been done on paper and I still hold the belief this works best for me (notebooks go home nightly and students do work in cursive.)

One student asked me, "Can I do my spelling homework on Google Classroom and send them to you?" What are your opinions? Your arguments may persuade me to change my requirements.

Thanks.

rosieteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

Teacherbee_4

Spelling? I'd say No
Old 12-12-2017, 03:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I guess it really depends. I see both sides, but I'm tending to lean towards the "no" side.

My reason for saying no is this:

A) There is spell check. While I know there is spell check in their real world, there won't be spell check on the test, so I don't see how that's helping the student. I may be the odd ball out, but I still think it's good for kids to know how to spell words without spell check, to some extent. I'm not minimizing spell-check, I just think we have kids who rely too much on it.

B) You mentioned it was done in cursive. I'm guessing that part of the reason you require cursive is so they can practice their cursive. By doing it on the Chromebook, they aren't practicing cursive.

C) I am not sure the types of assignments they are doing, but personally, I feel physically writing something versus typing something helps things stick in your brain more. That's my opinion anyway.

D) I think technology is awesome and I am a really big fan of it. I was a technology integration mentor in my old district, helping teachers integrate technology into the classroom and work in a 1:1 environment. However, as much as I love technology and integrating into the classroom, I do think kids today still have WAY TO MUCH screen time, and I think we are seeing the effects. If you add up all the times on screens at school, especially in 1:1 schools, plus at home, I'm sure the number would be astronomical. There is research on the negative effects of screen time, and I definitely think we need to cut back, as much as educational technology can be a good thing.

However, were you thinking that maybe this could be an accommodation/modification for some students? While I do think we rely too heavily on spell check, I also think there are some kids (fewer than think, but still some kids), who really do need this, and this could be a great tool if used as an accommodation. The same would go if the student struggled with same motor skills, where using the device may help speed up the process if writing is struggle due to motor control (like someone receiving OT services already). In these cases, I'd be more likely to let some students use the Chrome book.
Teacherbee_4 is offline   Reply With Quote

rosieteaches

thinking I'm old fashioned
Old 12-12-2017, 04:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Teacherbee,
Turning 61 this week and sense my "old" opinions may need to be challenged, so I am challenging my pro teacher colleagues to persuade me one way or another.

Yes, I am a fan of practicing cursive in a small way each week. I am smiling noting you noticed

Thanks for sharing.
rosieteaches is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 12-12-2017, 05:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I am a “younger” teacher and I’d still say no. I agree with everything Teacherbee posted. Great reasons. The Chromebooks are great for research, collaborating, learning internet and typing skills, etc, but spelling doesn’t really fit in with that. When memorizing, especially the spelling of words, there’s scientific proof that writing something out by hand helps your brain learn/memorize it. Also, you are requiring cursive, so that plays into it too.

However, DD’s first grade teacher did allow typing the words on their menu of spelling choices. They had to practice the words five different ways thru the week, like rainbow words, magnets, chalk, and one option was typing. I think it made sense and was fine in that situation.
KatieViolet is online now   Reply With Quote

arsabl

Typing
Old 12-12-2017, 05:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I conducted an action research one year about typing spelling words. My student spelling scores actually went up when they typed them. They had to think about each letter since they were early keyboardists. They completed the typing in class and spell check only mattered to show them any word with a mistake so they could correct it.

I allow spelling homework to be typed and emailed to me. My students learn how to keyboard/type through this weekly practice while learning their spelling words.

However, if your intent is cursive practice, typing will not meet your needs.

arsabl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 12-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Spell check can be turned off.
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-12-2017, 07:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I took a course this summer on learning differences. Our presenter shared recent research from the University of Washington involving MRI's and brain function. They discovered one activity that lit up the brain in more areas than any other activity - and that was writing content by hand.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Linda/OH

spelling homework
Old 12-13-2017, 01:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

On our Practice Menu is a choice to type their words or make a Word Cloud and send it. It's an occasional assignment and one students enjoy.
There are enough written choices that they still get a combination of practice anyway.

This year there are many students who struggle with handwriting and therefore we (4th grade teachers) insist on typed work. Don't flame me, we're a technological world
Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

binkbonk

Old 12-13-2017, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I'd copy and paste my way through a spelling assignment.
binkbonk is offline   Reply With Quote

whatever

I teach SpEd so
Old 12-13-2017, 10:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Quote:
I conducted an action research one year about typing spelling words. My student spelling scores actually went up when they typed them. They had to think about each letter since they were early keyboardists.
This! I made a document/form on Google Docs for those who want to do it online. We have a variety of ways we practice spelling so typing and this doc are just one option. Several of the others can be handwritten only.

As for the online component, they had to request it from me. I share the Google Doc with them so I can check in from my own computer at any time. I can look at the Revision History. I also observe as I walk around.

They might occasionally get away with copy and paste but it is unlikely.

I also upload all the lists to Spelling city and let them do some tasks that way.

I say that you have this fab new resource that you might as well use to the fullest extent.

whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 12-15-2017, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

There is research that shows that writing by hand, instead of typing, is much better for retention of information.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote