Help

BusyBoard

Seriously?

>

cruxian

Seriously?
Old 12-12-2017, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Take off the day before a break? I'm not talking like something serious came up last minute but a known event planned for the day before winter break. The day we've scheduled our holiday shindig and school wide singalong.

I'm frustrate because we're a four person team. One teammate and I were talking about a cool language arts activities. Other two colleagues overhear, think it's awesome, we collectively plan to extend it to math/science and the whole grade level will do these activities rotating from teacher to teacher.
AWESOMENESS.
Then one math/science colleague realizes she's out that day for a haircut. Um..okay. She asks if we can do it Wednesday instead. Sure but not quite the same. Other math/science teacher then announces he's out that day too to take his wife to a dentist appointment near their hometowns. Three hours away.
Then today first math/science person asks via text if we can do it on Thursday with the subs so they don't have to lose an instructional day. I tried explaining they wouldn't have to lose an instructional day, just shift from Wednesday to Thursday. No, she doesn't trust a sub to do the teaching.
Okay, so lemme get this straight: you're taking the day off right before break to get a haircut. And then, you won't change the party day to one on which you will be here. (We were planning activities that were kind of important to have the actual teachers for--think Olympic team competitions with each teacher being a country; it wouldn't have the same vibe with a sub.)
And then you basically want us to plan and do all the same amazing activities but with essentially two classes instead of just one. We don't necessarily get great subs, some without any college experience at all, much less a teaching degree. So while we get a warm body, it often isn't one you can rely upon to have things completed.
GRRR. I'm so frustrated. I ended up saying let's just plan to have a party without our own homerooms. Other language arts colleague and I are teaming up to work together.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-12-2017, 07:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I’d just plan it with the other teacher(s) that will be there in the day you originally planned and let the teacher that’s taking off do her own thing, BUT I’m feeling a little pissy towards uncooperative team mates right now so...
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

TeachNFriend

Best laid plans
Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Coordinating with four people is tough, especially when they start requesting changes.

It makes you wonder why they jumped on the idea in the first place
TeachNFriend is offline   Reply With Quote

elspeech

Old 12-12-2017, 07:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

And how long is this haircut going to take? She needs an entire day and can't change it?

Sorry, I just don't get making appointments during the school day for things that can be taken care of outside of school hours. I get that some things have to be done during school hours, like doctor appointments, etc, but I've never had an issue getting things like hair appointments scheduled in the evenings or weekends. On the other hand, the dentist appointment I can understand - it can take months to get that appointment - though traveling 3 hours to a dentist I wouldn't do - he'd have to be a GREAT dentist or specialize in some unique dental issue.
elspeech is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 12-12-2017, 08:10 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

In my district, it is extremely difficult to take a personal day (like for a haircut) either the day before or the day after a holiday/vacation. Basically the teacher would not be paid for the day and it would likely be held against him/her on evaluations.

TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

2_babygirls

I agree
Old 12-12-2017, 08:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That you should do it the way you planned and not change it for someone who is taking off. I have come to realize in my years of teaching that sometimes you just need to worry about yourself and your students.
2_babygirls is offline   Reply With Quote

Renea

Good plan...
Old 12-12-2017, 10:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I ended up saying let's just plan to have a party without our own homerooms. Other language arts colleague and I are teaming up to work together.
In most districts there are NO leave requests granted the day before or the day after a break. I've never heard of missing school due to a haircut! Isn't that what after school hours and weekends are for? It sounds like you teach with a princess.
Renea is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 12-13-2017, 02:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thanks everyone! Boy was I cranky! Still am. And yes, I was really surprised that either got leave the day before break. I have literally never heard of anyone getting the day approved either before or after the break, especially for a haircut. The dentist appointment I'm feeling a bit less cranky about but really? Three hours away, near their home? I've never heard of anyone getting that day off without skipping the day's pay.
It makes me feel better to know y'all have the same reactions I did.
And Renea, love the princess comment. Clearly you're right and I'm going to have to keep that in mind.
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 12-15-2017, 03:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
she's out that day for a haircut
Seriously!?! I'm in a grumpy mood and have way too much to say about that. I'll just shut up.

The dentist appointment three hours away? I bet it was planned so there was a valid excuse to have the day to travel. Kind of like a former coworker who went to the optometrist in Orlando because she didn't have enough personal days to cover the family vacation to Disney
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote