Help

Kindergarten

End of the Year Goals

>

Lillybabe

End of the Year Goals
Old 12-17-2017, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hey, so this is my first year in kindergarten. I know how to teach reading and did three years with Title I helping struggling readers. The issue I am running into is what should my students know by the end of the year? I have a student people are already trying to strong arm me into retaining. He's the second oldest in my class (only student older was retained) and has a December birthday. He has very little home support and had extreme behaviors in prek. He was sent home many days but has had no office visits this year. I feel he's making great progress and should be ready for first grade. However, what do my kids need to know by the end of the year? The common core standards are not very specific. For example they mention grade level decoding and sight word skills but they don't say how many sight words or what they should be able to decode. Any resources to finding this out? If I push for not retaining or even go along with retaining I'd like something to support that decision. Ideally, I'd like several resources that have clear guidelines on what a child in kindergarten should be able to do by the end of the year. As of last week all of my class knows all of their letter names, can write their first name, can identify numbers 1-20, and they all know most of their letter sounds (missing 4-6 depending on the kid). Everyone can rote count to 20 (that's all my curriculum has covered so far), 1-to-1 count to 20, mostly write numbers 1-20 (still some reversals and mix ups), and can do beginning addition and subtraction with support.

Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 12-20-2017, 08:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We use the common core standards for our goals, so I don't suppose I'll be much help. I know that for some of the standards which you've stated (such as sight word skills) we go with what is expected in our language arts curriculum. We don't have a reading or writing level that we expect at the end of the year, but our low babies are the ones that are still at a reading level a/b and can't write a complete sentence independently by the end. Maybe you should talk to first grade and look at what the kids are expected to do at the beginning of the year to help you clarify your end goals.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

essence253

End of Year Skills
Old 12-29-2017, 12:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We follow state standards, but here is a list of skills that are assessed at the end of the school year. Students must master 75% of skills to be promoted to 1st grade.
ELA
Identify story elements: character, setting, plot plot Read sight words (43 of 50), Identify medial sound, Identify letter sounds (uppercase and lowercase)
Write the letter for each sound , Correctly form upper- and lowercase letters
Draw/dictate/write to tell a story, Write CVC words from dictation, Understand and use question words, Recognize sentence structure: capitalization, punctuation, Uses inflections and affixes
Math
Count by ones to 100, Count forward beginning with a given number (0-100)
Skip count by 2ís to 20 and 5 and 10 to 100, Name numerals 0-20 out of sequence, Match quantities to numerals 0-20, Write numerals 0-20
Order numerals 0-20Compose (construct) numbers 11-19 into tens and ones, Decompose (separate) numbers 11-19 into tens and ones, Solve addition/subtraction story problems 0-10 using manipulatives, Solve addition problems within 10 using manipulatives, Solve subtraction problems within 10 using manipulatives, Find the missing addend to make 10, Fluently add and subtract within 5
essence253 is offline   Reply With Quote