BusyBoard

Desperate for Mac Help

>

GdHrtdTchr

Desperate for Mac Help
Old 12-17-2017, 04:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi. Plz someone help me:

I am an experienced primary teacher new to a position in a computer lab. I did this once before w/netbooks. This lab has Macs. I am more of a PC person, but I am learning/trying. My tough days nowadays are "spinning beachballs" and other "freezes" - esp. during testing. The tech says I'm not doing anything wrong, the computers are old. My AP says "the beachballs" are cuz I'm not clearing the cache & wants me to have a "maintenance schedule" of this. I Googled "clear the cache on a Mac" but the options don't line up quite like the directions. There's no simple click or two like on my PCs. How do I "clear" w/o fear of losing the kids stuff or something important??

And, do you think it will make any difference?

Is there a way I can minimize such problems?

Is there a way to determine how old these Macs are?

I'm thinking the tech is right. But I also wanna follow the APs directives. She also says the problem is that students have downloaded pics to the desk tops. I will have them drag those to the trash, but most have 0-3 pics. (A FEW may have 4-10. But THOSE computers are working fine.)

Sigh.

Thanx to ANYONE who can help me!

GdHrtdTchr is offline   Reply With Quote

SportingKC

Old 12-17-2017, 05:20 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Go to the apple drop down menu (top left) and click on the first option...About this Mac. It should tell you generally when the computer was made. Mine says Macbook Pro, Late 2011

I have been a Mac user my whole life, and I've never cleared my cache unless it's been on my internet browser. Is that what she's talking about? What internet browser are you using? Safari is a Mac product and will work well...i've had great luck with Google Chrome & Firefox as well. If you're using Internet Explorer...STOP. It's not secure and could be the reason you're having issues.

A suggestion:
1. Go to Finder and empty the trash on all computers (your kids could do this too!)
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

dutchgirl

Old 12-17-2017, 05:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Iím in midschool and our kids all have mac airs issued to them, so the situation is a little different. When weíre ready to test, I have the students go to the apple in the top menu bar, go to force quit, and quit all their open applications so nothing else but the test is open. This doesnít clear or remove anything, but helps because nothing else is running.

This apple menu drop down should also have Ďabout this mací. That will tell you the type of computer and version of operating system it is running.

To clear the cookies, in Safari, click on Safari, system preferences, then privacy. I donít remember the next exact step, and Iím on my iPad now, but it should be obvious. Be aware that clearing cookies there will remove saved passwords.
dutchgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-17-2017, 05:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Force Quit all apps. DL Crap Cleaner from CNET and run it at least once a week. Keep the junk off the desktop and empty the trash. That will all help the Macs run better.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

GdHrtdTchr

Thank You Mac Advisors
Old 12-18-2017, 02:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thank you SOOOO much to all of you! I am truly grateful. I am planning to get to school as soon as I can this morning to try out these ideas.

We MOSTLY use Chrome as we use Clever.com and i-ready and NWEA/MAP which I have been told are best run in Chrome. Most of the kids also have Safari on their dock and some use that occasionally, but most use Chrome as their "go to."

Yes, I think she's talking about clearing the cache from Safari (or in our case maybe more importantly Chrome.)

I've used forced quit quite often on our "frequent offenders" because I always do that before the "forced shut down." Usually, there isn't much to be "quit" but it's part of the routine.

Almost all have a trash can on their doc. I frequently right click on that and empty the trash. Is that the same action that you described, SportingKC ? Just a different route (via Finder)?

No problem regarding clearing cookies removing saved passwords as we don't save any passwords. I just don't want to lose things the district has "pushed in" such as NWEA icons.

I am quite curious if the firewall will let me open something including the term "crap."

Thank you, EVERYONE! I wish I had thought to come to my PT Friends weeks ago!

SportingKC

Empty Trash Follow-up
Old 12-18-2017, 04:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

There used to be a way to do a "secure empty trash" but it looks like with some of the most recent updates, that they've done away with that.

I do know that we've had issues with NWEA recently...but we're using chrome books at school. We ended up back on Chrome because the apps we had installed don't work correctly.

Could you also have issues with your building firewall? Internet?

***another thought. Are the computers getting shut down all the way every night? Sometimes that can help too....
SportingKC is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-18-2017, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Quote:
I am quite curious if the firewall will let me open something including the term "crap."
It's been re-named CCleaner. You should be fine.

LINK

CNET Downloads is the most secure site for stuff like this. When in doubt, head to the nerds.

GdHrtdTchr

Blocked
Old 12-21-2017, 07:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

It was still blocked. But thanks. It was worth a shot.

Zia

Old 12-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
It was still blocked. But thanks. It was worth a shot.
That's insane!! Search CNET downloads for other, similar programs. CCleaner isn't the only one out there--it's just the one I use.