Help

BusyBoard

Alternative Seating Correctly

>

teachmeifucan

Alternative Seating Correctly
Old 12-17-2017, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can you explain how you "teach" students to sit correctly on different forms of alternative seating? For example, if there is a yoga ball. Must they be on their bottom with feet on floor or can they lay on it? Can they bounce or do you suggest they try to balance? With wobble stools, is it sit still and work on balance? Or do you let them "wobble" without distraction? Bean bags....must they sit on them or do you let them lay? I have students up on their knees on the balance balls and I'm constantly redirecting them how to sit correctly. I just want to make sure I have a little more background before I talk to the whole class again. Thanks

teachmeifucan is offline   Reply With Quote

eliza4one

Old 12-19-2017, 05:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have wobbly stools, which are never a problem. And yoga balls...these can be a problem. They can bounce, slightly, as even I find myself bouncing on mine. However, noticeable bouncing or anything other than sitting on them results in 1 warning. If I have to warn a 2nd time, I take away the ball for the day and they must use a chair. I simply tell them that the ball isn't working for them today.

Bean bags-I don't feel those are conducive to learning (sorry-just my opinion), so I don't use them. I don't know too many people (esp. kids) who can truly learn/listen/engage while lying down. So if I had them, they would be required to sit in them.
eliza4one is online now   Reply With Quote

T.A.R.D.I.S

Old 12-20-2017, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have all sorts of things.

Wobble stools: they can wiggle but not spin. They have to be on their bottoms.
Yoga balls: they have to be on their bottom and canít bounce. The bouncing distracts me.
Bean bags: whatever as long as they are paying attention.
Big floor pillows: same as bean bags.

If a kiddo uses something incorrectly, they lose the privilege of using google it that day. They can try again the next day. It took two or three times of taking one away and they all got the idea.
T.A.R.D.I.S is offline   Reply With Quote

lovemymonster

Old 12-23-2017, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's a conundrum. The ones who usually need these tools are the least likely to use them according to the teachers wishes. I have a kid who rarely sits, and when he does use his yoga ball he is bouncing. So, he is directed to the side of the classroom where he will be less noticeable. Honestly, everyone is so used to it they are very good at tuning it out. The ball chair is the worst, because they like to ride it around the classroom, which is horribly distracting. I guess you have to weigh the pros and cons of using these items. If having them means the students are actually getting more/better work done, then it's worth the daily battles. If the kids don't truly need them, then remove them and save your breath. Ultimately, the students are going to be silly with these things so its up to you to set the limit on how silly, and when.
lovemymonster is offline   Reply With Quote