Help

Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Smelly Classroom Management

>

teachfrmheart

Smelly Classroom Management
Old 12-18-2017, 05:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Help teachers! I have some students who have bathroom issues so my classroom frequently smells. I have a glade sprayer that is just not cutting it. What do you use to keep your classrooms smelling good? I am considering getting a scentsy candle warmer, maybe one with a lid. Do you think it would be an issue having a candle warmer in the classroom with young students? I am a kindergarten teacher. Thanks in advance for your help!

teachfrmheart is offline   Reply With Quote

findinggiggle

Helping You Get Ride of the Smell
Old 12-19-2017, 02:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Hi,
I like using hydrogen peroxide for cleaning everything in my classroom and bathroom as it doesn't stain and cleans really well. And it's safer than Bleach!
When one of my students has an accident in the classroom, I use an odor eliminator. My favorite is Air Scense but health food stores usually have some good brands. It's non-aerosol and uses essential oils. I try to stay as organic, non-scent as possible. A lot of sprays are hazardous to children's lungs. Hmm...or have you thought about an air purifier? Well, I hope this helps!
findinggiggle is offline   Reply With Quote

forkids2

Essential oil diffuser
Old 12-19-2017, 03:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Maybe an essential oil diffuser would work. Amazon has some for $20. That should be safe around the kids.
forkids2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachfrmheart

Old 12-20-2017, 07:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Good idea! Thanks!
teachfrmheart is offline   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Old 12-23-2017, 06:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I second the essential oil diffuser. Try lavender, it will calm them down . Peppermint and lavender have worked the best for me. Can you open a window? A fan (either n the window or just a regular fan) might help as well.
I have found that glade, scentsy etc., just mask the smell. This is gross, but I have found that with air fresheners, it ends up smelling like a combination of vanilla and pee/poop. .
Spraying the tables with a solution of water, bleach, and essential oils has helped as well. I will also spray the carpets with water and a few drops of peppermint or lavender oils.

readnteach13 is online now   Reply With Quote

pumpkincake

Old 01-05-2018, 10:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Yes essential oil diffuser is great!
pumpkincake is offline   Reply With Quote

adore2teach

Old 01-07-2018, 08:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use Shaklee Basic G for cleaning my classroom! It gets rid of germs and it makes my classroom smell so good! It's less harsh than bleach and lasts so much longer! Most of the people that come in my classroom think I sprayed Febreeze!
adore2teach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tawaki

If...
Old 01-08-2018, 05:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

If you have a lot of littles with food allergies, they usually have enviromental allergies too.

A lavender diffuser sent me into an asthma attack because I am really allergic to lavender.

The only reason I bring this up, you don't a parent going to administration about the room not being scent free. Those situations usually escalate really fast around where I live. Bonus round is the parents by pass the teacher and guns straught for administration.

My DD's Kindie teacher had a shelf way up high in her classroom bathroom. She put a cup with vanilla extract with a wick gauze. She also cleaned with hydrogen peroxide.

My home district went scent free 4 years ago, and having anything like a diffuser/candle/potpourri will get you written up. It affected K-5 more. MS and HS don't seem to use scents as much.

We used the vanilla with gauze wick at the hospital for rooms where the poor patients had bathroom issues. (enough said..lol)
Tawaki is online now   Reply With Quote