BusyBoard

Parent Communication log

>

beagles2

Parent Communication log
Old 12-22-2017, 05:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Elementary teachers~

Are you required to keep a parent communication log? We are, and our P asks to see it at our evaluation (one year my P read my entire log and commented on the things parents asked me!) and then we have to turn a copy in at the end of the year. Mind you, I'm in a district where we aren't required to hand in lesson plans, so this seems like kind of a big pita to me.

I was just updating mine (the 'big project' I wanted to get done while on break - and now it's done!!) and it's 8 pages long! 8 pages, and the year isn't even half over! AND, I have a really lovely class this year, so it's not like I've had a lot of those tough conversations with parents.

My log has the date, the parent's name, and a quick sentence about what we discussed. That's it.

Just wondering . . . if you keep one, do you do a lot of communicating with parents? Is your log long too?

beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 12-22-2017, 05:33 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I use Dojo so I would just download and print. Besides that I keep a log on Google Drive, one for each kid for the rare occasion I talk to a parent on the phone. I also just write the date, who I talked to and a sentence or 3 about what was discussed. Personally I think thatís a lot of paperwork and a big PITA, but whatever floats their boat.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-22-2017, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't need to keep or turn in any sort of Parent Communication log, thank goodness! What in the world is that for?
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

beagles2

Old 12-22-2017, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I use Bloomz and last year was just able to download and print, but it was something like 88 pages, so this year they said they didn't want me to do that.

Yep, pita for sure!!!
beagles2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 12-22-2017, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We use Infinite Campus and are required to log parent contacts in there. We were told that this documentation is required because of the Claire Davis Act, although I'm not entirely sure if that's true or if that's just what my district has chosen to do as a CYA measure.

Most of our parents aren't big on school/home communication and usually complain that we're bothering them or that they can't talk because of work. I have a few families that I know want/need more communication and I do talk to them frequently. Otherwise, I don't call home unless it's absolutely necessary (I don't do "two positive calls a week" or anything like that).

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Infinite Campus for me also
Old 12-22-2017, 03:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Another Infinite Campus district. We needed to record parent contacts there and it actually was helpful to have documentation that a particular topic/issue had been discussed with a parent.

The notes we write are very general because a parent could ask to see those relating to their student. So it basically would give date, automatically fill in teacher's name, date, and time (could be changed if you filled it in later), and space to write something like "Discussed effects of recent absences on academic progress. Suggested that s(tudent) work with t(eacher) after school 2x per week."
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 12-22-2017, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We have to keep a parent log. It can be requested at any time and we hand it in at the end of the year. The most I had was 19 pages. Iím at 10 so far. I think this class may be the new record.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

TeacherPK6

Old 12-22-2017, 11:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

We have to turn one in monthly. I rarely fill the whole page each month. It's partially evaluatory..P is looking that we're contacting parents of struggling students, etc, but partially also so if the P gets any parent complaints he can say, "the teacher contacted you about it on x date."
TeacherPK6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Zia

Old 12-23-2017, 12:30 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Quote:
if the P gets any parent complaints he can say, "the teacher contacted you about it on x date."
Seems like a lot work for a "maybe." If there's a problem, the P can just ask me. Feels like micromanaging, which I detest. I'm sad so many of you have to keep this kind of documentation.
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote

seenthelight

Old 12-23-2017, 01:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I use remind and download when necessary. I do it that way because it allows me to have individual logs in the event that a parent requested my log through open records. A general log could expose other students private concerns.

seenthelight is offline   Reply With Quote