Help

BusyBoard

need suggested activities for math intervention

>

juligroovi

need suggested activities for math intervention
Old 12-23-2017, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

After doing winter benchmarks, I know I'm going to be needing to do some math intervention, I teach 4th grade. What activities would you recommend.. any good resources out there. Thank you.

juligroovi is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Good Mixed Review
Old 12-23-2017, 12:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

http://www.frog.com/drops/

I liked these products and used them for mixed review. I taught third but bought a book for second and third to use.

Sometimes we focus so much on teaching new concepts that they don't get enough practice with previously learned math skills. Also when we spend most of time on a specific concept of math they don't learn how to transition from one kind of math question to another. And yet that is how most tests are written. They might have a measurement question and then a multiplication question and then be tested on something about geometry. It jumps all over the place and I believe their brain needs practice doing this before test day. I found doing more mixed review helpful.

Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Leave an important word out
Old 12-24-2017, 04:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

of the word math problems. The students have to really think about the situation to decide what information is missing and needed to solve the problem.

Then give them the missing information and see if they can solve.

Here are some examples.

http://www.createteachshare.com/2014...=1399716230310

Also bring in props and act out word problems. Many have not experienced these kinds of situations. So acting them out can be helpful. This is particularly true for word problems involving money. Most children do not handle money much these day. They don't pay cash for items and get change back. So role playing a person from the problem can help with understanding.

1956BD

Establish the habit of checking all work
Old 12-24-2017, 04:24 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

They often make careless mistakes even earn they understand the math concept. Reread. Check that they marked and answer clearly. Check subtraction problems by adding back......... This has to be practiced every day for them to do it on test day. Brag on students checking and correcting efforts.

luvtulearn

Thanks 1956BD
Old 12-24-2017, 05:30 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Even though I am a reading teacher at my site my fourth grade team has asked me if I could research over break some math intervention activities for their newly implemented RTI math component. These are excellent suggestions 1956 or all levels of intervention and I definitely will pass this suggestion on. For my team I suggested that the on level and below level rti group revisit their unit or weekly math tests 2-3 days per week beginning with the first test in August and follow this in sequence to help isolate targeted skills. This helped our rti team in third for many years. There rarely is time to review tests in depth and students love working these problems out on the large wipe off board and on the small ones. Then volunteers would come up and teach the class the process of solving the problems and in turn subsequently, everyone pairs up to re explain the process to their partner from their individual wipe off boards.

I have learned to be creative with copies because our district will copy ANYTHING unlimited from our adoptive math or language arts core programs but we are on our own for other copies. So I try to pull as much as possible from our adopted programs.

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Study Jams by Scholastic
Old 12-24-2017, 06:19 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

This online math and science resource may be of some help to review concepts.

http://studyjams.scholastic.com/studyjams/index.htm

1956BD

Make Sure they own their math vocabulary
Old 12-24-2017, 06:21 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

The attached math vocabulary list will help get you started. There is also a link for a student math dictionary which is a great resource for learning.

http://amathsdictionaryforkids.com
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3rdGradeMathCoreVocabulary7-12-08.pdf (125.8 KB, 20 views)

pielette

Math intervention
Old 12-26-2017, 08:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I am doing math intervention for 3rd grade at my school. Here is what my hour with them looks like:

-Number talk (5-10 minutes): I found a good number talk resource for my grade level on TPT but really it can be any word problem, picture, or scenario in which they solve it in multiple ways.
-Splat! is a math game to build number sense.
-Mini lesson or strategy of the day: I teach them a strategy that is very specific, such as "multiplying by 4's" or using number lines, arrays, etc.
-Independent practice: This would be the procedural/drill portion that they do.
-Closure: I close the lesson by playing a hundreds chart game. Each student has gets a hundred grid and I call out different operations such as add 10, subtract 5, multiple by 2, then they tell me what number we are on.

Looking for more ideas myself as well!
pielette is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 12-26-2017, 05:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I suggest leaning heavily on manipulations for struggling math students.

Search on YouTube for Drew Hackleman, "Fractions Manipulatives #5- Mixed Numbers and Improper Fractions" for an excellent demo for using maniputlatives.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote