Help

BusyBoard

Apathetic class

>

School Time

Apathetic class
Old 01-01-2018, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My daughter teaches third grade. Her class is apathetic. They don't put effort into their work and as a result don't do well on assessments. They talk through independent activities and group work. They don't care about Class Dojo or points or rewards. They have repeatedly practiced how to do certain procedures. She has contacted parents. They are aren't allowed to keep students after school or have them miss recess. She is in a portable classroom that is very small so she cannot separate students.

Suggestions?
Thank you.

School Time is offline   Reply With Quote

jady_marie

Whole Brain Teaching
Old 01-01-2018, 04:06 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Whole Brain Teaching might be worth a try. You can get a lot of free ideas off of the WBT website. I use WBT with 6th graders and they love it. WBT has a lot of fun call outs and gamifys learning so that it is hard for students to remain apathetic. I use the scoreboard in conjunction with class dojo but instead of having a dojo for each student - it is me against the class. If the class earns more points in the green then in the red they get a mark on the scoreboard. The dojo board clears everyday. (The scoreboard is explained in WBT book) I also use the super improver board and this has helped me to recognize the students who are consistently trying and who sometimes run under the radar.

WBT uses 5 rules that are fairly simple and straight forward. When the teacher is teaching and someone breaks a rule the teacher puts an X in the recess practice box without naming a name. This works very well in my class. I bet that third graders would buy into WBT even more than my 6th graders do. There are several you tube videos if you want to see WBT in action. I felt a little silly using it at first but when I saw how well my students responded to this type of teaching I will never go back to the way I used to teach. WBT might be a great jumpstart for the second half of the year.
jady_marie is offline   Reply With Quote

School Time

Old 01-02-2018, 04:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you.
School Time is offline   Reply With Quote