Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Visiting Hollywood - Must Sees?

>

SusanTeach

Visiting Hollywood - Must Sees?
Old 01-02-2018, 06:38 AM

DH and I are doing items on our Bucket List as our "resolution", and visiting Hollywood is one of them. Possibly this spring. I've wanted to go since I was a teenager ("star gazer" from way back ). We'd like to take a studio tour (WB?), maybe celebrity bus tour, and see the Walk of Fame, but I'm not sure what other things to do still.

I'm also a huge Friends (TV show) fan, and I'd heard they have the sofa and Central Perk set up to take pics, maybe part of the WB tour. Not sure if that's still around. It's hard to know what's legit online.

Best area to stay in - hotel?

Things to NOT do?

Thanks!

SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Hifiman

I'll have to keep any eye on this thread
Old 01-02-2018, 07:24 AM

I've lived near LA for most of my life and have never done the Hollywood thing. I'm not even sure what to do there if I ever went.
Hifiman is offline   Reply With Quote

nadi

Former LA native
Old 01-02-2018, 07:30 AM

Seriously missing LA now that we are in St. Louis in freezing weather.

Here are some suggestions:

Hotel we liked: Omni in Los Angeles-very pretty

Things to do: of course the walk is fun, walking around Universal Studios-not the theme park, but the shopping and restaurants is fun, going to Venice Beach-or Muscle Beach, window shopping on Rodeo in Beverly Hills can be a way to find stars. Although living in LA most of my life, I did not see too many of them; they like to hide.

I am not sure about the couch thing. Other neat things to visit in LA: in downtown they have authentic Mexican food olvera street los angeles- neat little booths and great food. They also have a little china town in the same area- great food and interesting sights.

The beaches are a definite must do: Malibu- is a drive from LA, but worth it or up a little ways less pretty Topanga Beach. The Planetarium is neat.

I would avoid: some of the theme parks unless you have kids and want to see what they are like in LA. The zoo is over priced, Knotts Berry Farm? (not sure if still around) , or Disneyland- my favorite of the bunch but still like any amusement park.

Gosh, I miss LA. STL is such a boring, cold place to live! Let me know if you have any other questions. Hope that helps
nadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Pambee

Pambee

Old 01-02-2018, 10:43 AM

You might enjoy being part of the audience for a taping of a tv show. Many years ago I did that, and it was a fun experience. Itís free, and I think you can look online for whatís available and how to obtain the tickets.

sonoma

Walk of fame
Old 01-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Go in the daytime. If you take pictures be sure to pay the characters. They tend to become very aggressive if you donít.

If a camera crew stops you and asks questions it is probably someone from jimmy kimmel. If you are charming, funny, or a cute young girl they may bring you into the studio to see the show.

Lots of out of towners want to see Hollywood but it is not what you expect. Instead go on a studio tour.

sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote

letsgomets

So true!
Old 01-02-2018, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Lots of out of towners want to see Hollywood but it is not what you expect. Instead go on a studio tour.
Really, it's just a street in the city with stars in the sidewalk. It's cool to see Grauman's Chinese Theater and all of the hand and footprints in the sidewalk. If we had more time when we were there, I would have done a studio tour.

We did one of the "See the Homes of the Stars" tours. It was ok. Best houses were the house from Iron Man and Dr. Seuss's house.
letsgomets is offline   Reply With Quote

CK2

Old 01-03-2018, 09:14 AM

I really liked the Hollywood Museum and walking the Walk of Fame. The studio tour at Universal Studios was really fun and interesting.

We did a tour to see where stars live... I thought it was a waste of time and money. I hated Venice Beach.
CK2 is offline   Reply With Quote

SusanTeach

studio tour
Old 01-03-2018, 05:45 PM

Thanks for all the input!

I looked into some of what y'all said, and I have a few questions:

Is the WB studio tour worth the "deluxe" price? I can't tell if it's worth it online.

Is Universal the amusement park?
SusanTeach is offline   Reply With Quote