Home Join Now Search My Favorites
Help

Teachers' Lounge

Do you have a sewing/craft room?

>

luvtulearn

Do you have a sewing/craft room?
Old 01-02-2018, 04:00 PM

I am reading a lot about all the pters who sew, quilt, knit, crochet, paint etc. . .and they always seem to include used or stored fabric or materials for many of their creations. How do you all store or better yet organize your materials. I have very little room and just recently started storing unused fabric. I am storing them in discarded bedsheet soft plastic zipper containers by fabric type. I have cleared two shelves in my linen closet for this. Unfortunately I'm not motivated enough to cut them in fat quarters or layer cakes so that all I will need to do is quilt away when the time comes. How do you all do it?

luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Cat woman

Old 01-02-2018, 04:12 PM

My “room” is in my basement. I have an old dresser down there that some of my scraps are stored in (DH has claimed half of them for his golf stuff), as well as two sets of Steralite (sp?) drawers that I keep fabric and notions that I have purchased for future projects. I also have two Rubbermaid tubs. Yes, storing fabrics can be an issue! Since it in the basement it doesn’t have to look all pretty for me
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Beach Glass

My own room
Old 01-02-2018, 05:43 PM

It wasn't until daughter #1 finished college and moved on to becoming a "contributing member of society," did I get my room!

I packed all her stuff in boxes, shoved 'em in the closet. On her first trip home after getting her really own space (aka townhouse), I lined those boxes up in the hall, and wouldn't let her leave until she went through them and/or loaded them up!

I had about 14 boxes of "valuable" (her words) stuff. But when it came to schlepping it back to her place, she reduced it to 3! I cheerfully took the unwanted items to the local thrift store. She chucked the other stuff in the garbage.

So... now I even have a closet to store MY stuff in! Yay! Now I have all my basketweaving materials organized and readily available.
Beach Glass is online now   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 01-02-2018, 05:55 PM

I have a 17'x17' sewing room in our finished basement. It was the first room we finished in the basement 35 years ago. It is wonderful. I have built in shelves and cupboards but I have even more stored in plastic bins and totes.

Sewing and quilting are not my only interests.
I also have scrapbooking and card making equipment and supplies.
My sewing room was also my office while I was teaching.

I am going to try to sew through, scrap through and quilt through my current stashes. I am also going to do a purge and pass things along to others or donate.

Want anything?
Peaches Pears is online now   Reply With Quote

GraceKrispy

Old 01-02-2018, 07:21 PM

I have a short wall in my bedroom A few years ago, dh got me a sewing table exactly like this one. I love it! I store folded material on the right side on the shelves, and I have a big plastic tote (like this general model) filled with more fabric. It lives on the shelf in the middle of my sewing table. The machine stays on the top of the desk, covered with some fabric to keep dust off. It's not the most brilliant set up, and when the table is open, it's a squeeze to get into the en suite bathroom, but it's SO much better than dragging it out of the closet and setting up a tray table I sew more frequently now (although I haven't for a few months ) All my sewing stuff, including all the fabric remnants I buy, in one place in my room. And the table (when the drop leaf is up) has enough room for my computer so I can watch shows while sewing

GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 01-02-2018, 07:27 PM

I do have a sewing/craft room. Most of my fabric (and I have a lot) is in a hall closet in baskets. The rest is in the room on shelves. I have a sewing machine and serger. I love to sew! I just started making baby clothes for my grandson arriving in May. I have vowed to order less and use more of my stash this year!
annie_g is online now   Reply With Quote

Cinderella00

Old 01-03-2018, 07:25 AM

Prepare to be jealous....

I have a 24' x 36' finished, heated, shed for my sewing room. I actually use only about 1/2 of it, with the other half being used for storage.

And before you get TOOO jealous, I used to run a sewing / quilting business. I no longer sew for an income, but still do projects for people I know. There are days I HAVE to sew. Today is one of them. Off to the shed!
Cinderella00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Cinderella00
Old 01-03-2018, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Prepare to be jealous....
I am definitely jealous!
Maybe a better way to phrase it would be "I am definitely appreciative" of your large sewing space.
Do you have a long arm quilter?

Cat woman

Old 01-03-2018, 09:10 PM

I am going to add that I am known to toss fabric scraps when done with a project so I really only have fabric I have purchased with future projects in mind. I know tossing those scraps may be wasteful, but I can’t stand all the odds and ends (OCD?!)
Cat woman is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

I am an empty nester
Old 01-03-2018, 10:15 PM

So one of the girl's rooms is now my sewing room. It small compared to others, but I am so grateful for it.

Like Peaches Pears, I do more than just one thing, but I mainly sew. You were asking about storage, but seemed more interested in storing fabric. I'll share what I do with mine.

First of all, I do wash and dry (without softener) every fabric that I purchase. I try to fold immediately out of the dryer to cut down on wrinkles. (if the wrinkles are too much, I will iron before I cut)

I fold the fabric selvedge to selvedge, so that it's a long piece around 12" wide and however many yards you have long. I do not try to get the fabric to fit perfectly onto the board. On some of the wider width fabrics, it just won't fit but it all works out.

Next, I start folding it on a comic book board. Here's a link to what I buy on Amazon. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 You get 100 for $11.45.

I start by placing the fabric about 3/4's of the way onto the paper (it's like a cardboard type thing), then just keep winding. I also bought little plastic clips to keep it in place, but I have A LOT of fabric. You may not be interested in these right now.

Then I place each fabric horizontally on the shelves I have. At first, I placed the boards vertically, but they began to bow. My shelves came from WalMart online for around $25. Just doing a quick check on one set of shelves -- I was able to get 72 pieces of fabric on it.

I have some storage ideas for items other than fabric if you are interested.

The pic that's with this post is of one set of my shelves. You can see that there is more room on the first shelf for more fabric. Of course, there's always the top of the shelves to pile more on.

I'll make another post that shows how I begin the folding onto the comic book boards.

Attachment

Sign in to view attachment. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Last edited by Hideeho; 01-04-2018 at 03:27 AM..
Hideeho is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

pic of how I wind/fold fabric
Old 01-03-2018, 10:17 PM

Here's a pic of how it looks when I begin to wind or fold my fabric onto the comic book boards. After this step, I just bring the fabric up under the board, back to the top and keep going until it's all on there.

I hope this helpful.
Attached Images

Sign in to view image. Not a member? Sign Up FREE

Peaches Pears

Old 01-03-2018, 11:23 PM

WOW!
I learn so much from Proteacher. Before I retired PTers introduced to to so many new teaching ideas and professional resources.

And now.........................
Organizing my fabric!

I did not know comic book boards even existed, let alone at such a reasonable price.

One question though ---------------
Fabric is usually about 44" wide. Do you fold in half length, selvedge to selvedge and then fold it again, fold to selvedge?

luvtulearn

Wow. . .
Old 01-04-2018, 12:13 AM

Hideeho I've never heard of that before. . . Thanks for sharing . I knew we had some special places carved out for our hobbies.
luvtulearn is offline   Reply With Quote

Hideeho

Peaches Pears
Old 01-04-2018, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Fabric is usually about 44" wide. Do you fold in half length, selvedge to selvedge and then fold it again, fold to selvedge?
Yes. This is what you do.