Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Homework

>

Lilacs

Homework
Old 01-05-2018, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am a first and second grade teacher and always have been (with some third grade experience). However, my oldest daughter is in fourth and having trouble studying. She has always had some difficulty (low average) in spelling and fine motor (handwriting especially). Now that testing has really increased in science and social studies she is having trouble remembering all the facts, but does well memorizing long peoms and Declaration of Independence, etc. She does much better when I quiz her and when she studies orally (not just silently in her head)...not sure why? I am wondering what the best strategies for studying might be and if parents usually need to still do it together with kids of this age? How much time should we be spending on the homework? Probably a dumb question, but if she should be getting more independent I don't want to be over "mommy-ing" her Thanks

Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

studying
Old 01-07-2018, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have always done better studying orally. I also do best when I make rhymes, mnemonics, etc. I think in 4th is the transition between all parent guidance and gaining some independence. But some of that is learning how to study. Parent involvement is definitely still key.

With facts that are a list, try turning the first letters into a word (like how you do HOMES for the Great Lakes) or into a sentence (Please Excuse My Dear Aunt Sally for order of operations).

I've also always, even as a child, liked to make my own questions on index cards. Write the question on one side and the answer on the other and then I flip through them. She might need help coming up with the questions and if handwriting is hard, perhaps you write them for her. The act of making the questions can be helpful. She could type them if she's better at typing. Then she can study on her own reading the question outloud, trying to answer it, and then reading the answer outloud.

Drawing pictures can also help for some things. They don't need to be great drawings, but the act of drawing helps and then she can visualize them when she's testing.

4th grade is a huge jump from third in terms of content I've found.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

mommy9298

Old 01-07-2018, 06:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have taught third and fourth, and there is a big difference in work in fourth grade. My ds also had difficulty with the workload in fourth and fifth grades. I used vocabulary cards, games, spelling city, reading notes every night, and I studied with him. You could make Kahoot questions for her to review. Don’t worry about her being independent. At this age she is learning how to study. I helped ds trough 6th grade with studying. When he started 7th grade, he politely told me he knew what to do, and he did! He received wonderful grades and is now a freshman in college. He has excellent study skills and time management. I would help her all she needs and let her decide when it’s enough.
mommy9298 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 01-07-2018, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thanks for the responses. It is a huge content jump in our school from 3rd to 4th. I feel better knowing other parents still help at this age. She has started to have panic attacks, but remains more calm if I am helping. I think she is a perfectionist, and a B+/A- just isn't good enough in her mind. She has failed a few spelling tests this year. She misses the words by one letter...but in spelling it is either right or wrong. Daffodil thanks for the suggestion about question cards. Mommy the spellingcity.com website is awesome.

JulieP

Old 02-23-2018, 08:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

If she does better orally, get her a whisper phone with the head band attachment. I have 6th graders come to my room to borrow mine all the time. Usually the 5th graders are using all of them.

Also, maybe get her a digital recorder so she can "read" her notes into it and then replay to listen.

JulieP is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 03-05-2018, 05:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

thanks for the idea

asnmdirteha

Old 04-01-2018, 02:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

We had difficult adjustments between grade levels too so we used different methods to make sure the kids are ready to go for their school level. Our favorite so far is Beestar and it has lots of great resources for math and language arts.
asnmdirteha is offline   Reply With Quote

KatrynG

Lilacs,
Old 04-06-2018, 01:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

I love the suggestions you've received to help your fourth grader study better. The whisper phone, and recording her notes so that she can hear them, play them, and repeat them out loud.

Have you done your Spring break, yet? Can you get your daughter to practice writing by printing some sentences properly on lined paper or dry erase boards. I have some students who love to practice their writing using lined dry-ease strips and dry eraseable markers.
KatrynG is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 04-06-2018, 05:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

Spring Break is coming at the end of the month. She has been studying orally and shown improvement. We review every night for a short while, to spread the study time. The index cards are great. We have found spellingcity.com and xtramath.org to be helpful. She seems to know the math facts at times, but forgets them later. She spells better orally, but makes mistakes when writing the word. Her cursive writing is beautiful, but the brain to paper thing seems to be an issue. I bought her journal notebooks for Easter, and she loves to write creative stories. I am not sure if I should be correcting, revising, editing...or just let her have the joy she seems to have found in writing. Her state testing says she is on grade level in all areas, but keeping good grades has been a chore. I might buy the white boards for practicing spelling. My students love to do that. I guess I forgot I am not sure that she just prefers to study with me...and get extra mommy/daughter time to herself. Everyone has been wonderful about sharing suggestions. Thanks

asnmdirteha

Old 06-22-2018, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

I wanted to see now that summer is coming up how she's been doing with the creative writing? Did you end up correcting her? For my students I correct them but at the same time my position is a teacher vs a parent so I was wondering how you knew when and where to draw the line?

asnmdirteha is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 06-22-2018, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

We read her creative journals together. The spelling I just gave her and had her correct it. She has the grammar and verb usage. I had her correct sentences that did not make sense. I did the writing for corrections since handwriting is a chore for her. When read aloud she knew what it should have said. Since she had capitals and ending punctuation I let a lot of the other commas, quotations, etc go. I'm hoping that will just come with time. Telling me her story seemed to motivate more writing. I guess I used frustration level as the indicator. If I worked more on fixes than asking questions and getting more details she lost interest quickly. I always found something to point out that was amusing or interesting and something to ask her about. I'm not sure that I should have pushed harder and would have gotten farther, but her academic/school stress was high and I didn't want to overload. She continues to love to write even now that summer is here. She loves to make cards, send e-mails to relatives, and make my grocery list. Little opportunities to keep practicing. I guess I opted to split the mommy/teacher role down the middle (a little heavier on encouragement).