Help

Intermediate Grades (3-5)

Guided Reading

>

Lilacs

Guided Reading
Old 01-05-2018, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I was reading a blog from another teacher that suggested guided reading in upper elementary. I teach first and second, but have never seen guided reading in the older grades. Many of the remediation strategies looked like 1st and 2nd grade curriculum (especially phonics). Is this common practice? How many groups do you have? Is this more like a reading intervention or help group? Just curious I guess. Thanks

Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 01-06-2018, 05:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I’ve taight guided reading in 3rd-5th grades. I work on skills and strategies, I just don’t do phonics unless they’re below (or significantly below) grade level.

With 4th and 5th grade I do a lot of novels. They’re great for character growth/how and why characters change, plot, etc. I also do NF.
GreyhoundGirl is online now   Reply With Quote

texteach55

GreyhoundGirl
Old 01-06-2018, 06:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love teaching novels. We read Fish in a Tree before break. The kids absolutely loved it. I was wondering if you do guided reading groups when you teach a novel. Would you read a few chapters whole group and then pull groups and do stations over the chapters you read as a whole group? Thanks for the info.
texteach55 is offline   Reply With Quote

daffodils

novels
Old 01-07-2018, 04:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught 4th I did guided reading with both short leveled books and novels. For novels, it was by their level-not a whole class book. So I might have 5 novels going in class at once--a different one per group. If I was lucky I had maybe 3 different levels based on DRA (so maybe 38, 40 and 50), but would have more than 1 group at 40 and 50 to keep groups small enough. I offered choices sometimes on novel and all the kids at 40 would pick between the two choices and divide into two groups that way. Sometimes I assigned their novel. We'd do a little reading outloud in small group, but mostly they read their assigned pages on their own and then we'd talk about certain topics, skills, vocabulary, etc.
daffodils is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-07-2018, 05:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I teach 5th and do exactly as Daffodils describe. Actually her post made me feel better because I'm thinking sweet! Another person who thinks like me. I teach two classes and have four groups in each class. Each group has a different book. I assign the book 95% of the time. Sometimes a bit of reading aloud to check fluency and to see how they're able to break up unfamiliar words. They have a section to read independently then I have them write a short response.

cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote

PindleLou

Oooh...more details please!
Old 01-07-2018, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

So...do they read out of their novels together (with their group) out loud? Do they read out of their novels alone? Do you meet with groups daily? Are there kids who play around instead of read (if they're not in a group with you)?
PindleLou is offline   Reply With Quote

Sasha B

Old 01-07-2018, 12:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have this book and I think it has some good ideas for guided reading that is focused on deep comprehension. https://www.amazon.com/Big-Idea-Less.../dp/1506334385

It has some lessons based on sections of novels that would work well with older elementary students.
Sasha B is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 01-07-2018, 04:27 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Thank you for all your input...very informative.
Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote

cruxian

Old 01-08-2018, 02:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

PindleLou, I meet with three groups a day and (within a class) have 4 to 5 groups. I keep the groups flexible. No more than 6 kids in a group. So no, I don't meet with each group every day but will meet with each group 3 to 4 times over the course of the week.
Because I teach 5th grade, most of the reading is done silently and while they are working independently. During group, my job is to check comprehension and discuss their reading responses and how our reading skill applies to the book. for example if we're wroking on compring and contrasting, we might discuss how two characters are similar and different and we might make a Venn Diagram together. (This isn't to say that we never read out loud together or that there aren't situations where I might need to have a group work on reading fluency. This generally isn't the normal in fifth though so it remains an exception rather than the norm.) At the end of the group, I give them a new section of the book to read and ask them to write a reading response. (Our fearless leaders insist that the kids start the responses with "I think" or "I wonder." Then they have to refer to something that happened in the book to explain their thinking. If they respond with "I wonder" they have to begin another sentence and say "Maybe" and kind of answer their question. For example, if we were reading the Al Capone Does My Shirts, a student might respond by saying, "I wonder if Moose gets frustrated sometimes about having to take care of his sister Natalie. Maybe he doesn't like having to be responsible for her because he can't play baseball with his friends.") I have a section of my board that lists each group, the days of the week they meet and their independent assignments.
You know what? 95% of the kids do their work 95% of the time. I have one persistent bugger that almost never doe and (with admin support) I'm going to do something different with him. A second boy is kind of inconsistent but everybody else is good. I'd say this is fairly typical. In any given year, I'll get 90% of kids doing their work either every time or almost every time. Yay! (I do keep track and count it as a grade.)
cruxian is offline   Reply With Quote