Kindergarten

CP student and determining reading level

>

jacque/Wa/K-1

CP student and determining reading level
Old 01-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi All,

I have a student with cerebral palsy this year and am trying to determine his reading level---he is fairly fluent but here's the rub....whenever I ask him to read to me, he constantly clears his throat, and I've tried various things---his parents said he's shy and they sent me a video of him reading louder in a Frog and Toad book. I have other books I've tried that he would tell me were too easy, but when I ask him to show me, it's the whole throat clearing to the point that I run out of time to work with him. His CP is a part of this, but he talks up and offers ideas in discussions just fine and much louder. The last time I met with him I suggested he just whisper read to me and we finally got through a couple of pages, but it's very hard to hear if he's pronouncing words totally correctly. I talked with mom again yesterday and she mentioned that he can be defiant and stubborn and yes, I think that's a part too. If he doesn't particularly like a book or one day when I gave a sentence stem for morning meeting, he didn't want to do it and did the whole throat clearing thing forever...

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has had a CP student similar and what worked for you????

jacque/Wa/K-1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Mammabear4

Good for you and THANK YOU
Old 03-24-2018, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't have a student with CP, but my son has quadriplegia and uses a wheelchair. First off, good for you for setting high expectations. Are you the gen ed teacher?

My son did something similar with math. Where he was acting silly and guessing. I found out the nurse was doing the math for him and he had some huge holes.

Does he have an iPad? Perhaps he could find a quiet room and record himself reading. Or you could utilize an app like See Saw to listen and respond like an online reading conference. (This takes out the social piece between teacher/student) Does he read to a peer partner? or parapro?

Not knowing the kid it could be anything, but keep those expectations HIGH and set the non-negotiable as you need to hear him read. Be flexible with what that looks like.
Mammabear4 is offline   Reply With Quote