Help

First Grade

Teaching Math

>

SunShining

Teaching Math
Old 01-07-2018, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm struggling with the most effective way to teach math. We're using EngageNY, so there's fluency practice, a daily application problem, a concept lesson, and then practice with a worksheet. We had been doing everything together as a class and then the worksheet, but I have a chunk of math whizzes and I feel like they don't always need the entire concept lesson, and then I also have some really low babies who I feel I can't zero in on enough.

So we tried breaking it up into stations. We still do fluency and the application problem together, but then they are in 3 groups. One with me for the concept teaching, one where they do their worksheet, and one where they do math activities/puzzles or XtraMath on ipads. I love that I can differentiate when I teach the dmall groups, but this leaves me unable to supervise them while they do the worksheet, and my low kids aren't getting it at all.

Any suggestions? How do you differentiate so that your higher kids aren't spending too much time listening to what they already understand but you are still able to reach your low babies?

SunShining is offline   Reply With Quote

Munchkins

Old 01-07-2018, 05:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I had groups last year. We started off together, and then rotated through centers. I was one center and I started with my low group and did the workbook with them while the middle group worked on Chromebooks and the top group did the workbook independently. We roared, with me seeing the top group last. I gave them enrichment but they got only a small amount of my time.

This year I am doing the gradual release. I let them work independently once I see they have the concept, and have extension activities prepared. This way the high kids can keep moving, and the lower kids get the attention they need.

I hope this was helpful!
Munchkins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tsy2013

Old 01-11-2018, 06:36 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...BUNDLE-3302994
Tsy2013 is offline   Reply With Quote

Athena1

teaching math
Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do stations where each station is based on the same tek. For example if we are working on measurement, all my stations are on that specific tek. Now my stations always have a writing center, yes writing in math, next is game then worksheet, computers and teacher table. I start off the lesson by whole group and then release my students to stations. I always have an extra “stem” activity for my high kids.
For example in case for the measurement Tek the stem activity was for them to build their own monster, various material was provided and measure using their choice of tool.
Personally for me this method has worked wonders as I can pull my lowest during stations and if not in need I make the teacher table a station to reinforce ideas.
Athena1 is offline   Reply With Quote