Fourth Grade

Math

>

Marcee

Math
Old 01-10-2018, 07:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi there!
I have a student who hates math. I know that's not a news flash--many kids "hate math". This child doesn't even try. At math time, he completely zones out and refuses to participate. He doesn't do it in a disruptive way, he just hides and hopes I don't ask him to do anything. Unfortunately for him, I am not that type of teacher! In fact, BECAUSE he is hiding I have the tendency to push him. I don't make an example of him, because that wouldn't be fair, but I try really hard to encourage him.

I am sure he has holes in his math education, because I looked at his test scores from his old school. He was at standard in reading, but below standard in math. I can stand right next to him and give instructions, even pointing out what he needs to do on his paper, and he won't even try. He just says, "I don't get it" very matter of factly. I show him. I go step by step and he won't do it.

Any suggestions?

Marcee is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrme11

Old 01-11-2018, 04:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I saw that you posted this the other day and I didn't have any thoughts at that time, but I hated to see your post with no replies. I'm new to 4th grade this year, so I thought someone more experienced might have better thoughts. But I'll go ahead and offer just one possible idea. Can you involve him in more game based learning opportunities? My kids love to play games but they all have a skill focus. There are also many apps or online games you can use.

I'm sorry my idea might not be something you haven't already thought of doing. I'm sure the situation is very frustrating.
kidsrme11 is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

Small group or one on one
Old 01-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I offer a few ideas:
Do you have any time when others work independently to give him some one-on-one help? Maybe a peer to help with class practice would help him. If he makes an effort, lighten up the assignments and supplement with practice for the "holes" in his math background that you mentioned.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcee

Thank you
Old 03-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

He likes to play the games, but he gets frustrated because he doesn't get it. I really think he has a block when he sees numbers. I have decided to call a meeting to see if there is a problem. He's a really good reader!

Marcee

Yep
Old 03-10-2018, 08:46 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We do partner math every day with mixed ability. I even put him with another student who he likes, just to help him stay focused. He refuses to even pick up a pencil.