Help

Third Grade

Morning tubs

>

GreyhoundGirl

Morning tubs
Old 01-13-2018, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Iím contemplating something and Iíd like some input. Iím thinking about doing morning tubs next year. My kids are coming in really low and they also need the review that morning work provides. For that reason (and a few others) Iím thinking of doing morning tubs 2-3 days a week and morning work the other days.

Iím not looking at STEM type bins, but rather problem solving/higher level thinking (math games, tangrams, storytelling cubes, etc).

Thoughts and suggestions from people who have done this would be much appreciated. What do you have in your bins? How long do they have each morning? Whatís worked? What problems have you run into? Iíd be starting this next year.

Thanks.

GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-13-2018, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I don't do morning tubs, but my team member does. She has legos, puzzles, playdoh and some other things. Students sign up with a clothespin when they enter and only a certain number of students can use each one. Her students have about 15 minutes while she does attendance and lunch count.

She said it was a bit rough at first. She had to do a lot of modeling and a lot of voice level checks. Her class is a bit loud!
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Ally

Old 01-14-2018, 07:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I don't do tubs exactly, but I do math journals and quick writes a few times a week as review. The math journals are review questions on chart paper that they complete in a lined exercise book that I cut in half.

Quick writes are questions that they respond to (giving their opinion about something or describing something for example) in 3-5 sentences. They have to read over their work, and make sure they have capitals and end punctuation before handing it in.

This is my first year trying this and I do like it. I mix it up with reading and reading with the Ipads so we do a different activity each morning. I find the math review takes them the longest, sadly. I likely need to have fewer questions. I would like them to be done in 15 minutes or so because that is when we have our school wide announcements and begin our morning meeting.

I can see how tubs might be nice as you could prep some and then rotate them through. Maybe try in at the end of this year with your current group...as a dry run?
Ally is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Great Idea
Old 01-16-2018, 03:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I donít do tubs, but I call this morning time ďBrain StretchĒ. Itís when Iím doing attendance checking homework, planners etc. itís anywhere from 15-20 min depending on the day.

One idea: Puzzles - I buy the 100 - 300 piece ones from the dollar store. I store them in plastic baggies & cut out the cover to have the picture.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

kitty97

Morning tubs
Old 05-21-2018, 09:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I've used them in several grades for a variety of reasons: attendance incentives, STEM, differentiation, socialization/collaboration and the like. I've tried both open ended and very structured. And you DO have to be clear with expectations and modeling.

I've used tubs, fabric zippered pencil pouches, zipped/poly file folders (think Bill organizers but letter sized, plastic shoe boxes, the milk crate file folder holders and more. I've used task cards, prompts, and teacher created items. I would also alter the items to mirror themes or to increase in difficulty as they mastered concepts.

I feel it depends upon your objective and teaching style. I was comfortable with kids scattered across the room at tables and on floors working together as well as each student working independently on structured tasks....I personally prefer manipulative over worksheets as it's more authentic and engaging, but there are also tasks cards that you could employ as well...?

I also had them work in "tubs" for about 20 mins each morning as other students were entering and preparing for the day. I also used them during my guided math block. I tiered and color coded/labeled mine so students knew how to I'd their level. I would also have them journal afterwards to document their thinking. They had to draw a pic, write an equation and come up w a story. You can build to this...? I found that the journaling held them accountable as well as improved their math thinking. I also didn't have a prob w them working in pairs or small groups. The whispering is definitely a social skill that takes lots of modeling and redirects.
As far as what to stock bins with...Look over your standards and pull out the manipulatives that they will need to solve the problems. You can always make/create, purchase cheap things at Target, Dollar Tree and the like to keep it interesting.

kitty97 is offline   Reply With Quote