Help

Fourth Grade

Anyone departmentalized here!

>

Katluv

Anyone departmentalized here!
Old 01-18-2018, 05:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

It is being talked about in our district. Anyone switch classes in 4th grade and only teach one or two subjects?

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?

Katluv is offline   Reply With Quote

eagles23

Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We are departmentalized. I teach ELA, we have a math teacher, a science/STEM teacher, and we all teach Social Studies to our own home room. I love it, but I do feel sometimes that I drew the short straw because basically I am cramming 4 subjects (reading, writing, grammar, spelling) into the same period that my counterparts are teaching one thing. One benefit is that you get to know all the students in the grade instead of just the students in your homeroom. Grading is about the same, but it does get boring grading so many of the same set of papers. I think you’ll like it, but a lot depends on your team.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

tgbwc

We do (to a point)
Old 01-20-2018, 06:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done both. For most of my 25 years I have taught only LA and SS. There have been a few years during which I've had one class and done all the core subjects. The past ten years I have taught language arts and social studies. I have gone between third and fourth grade. Last year I had third grade in the morning for LA and SS and then fourth grade in the afternoon. That I did not like. Half way through the day I would get fourth graders from 4 other teacher's homerooms and I would send my third grader to 5 other teachers. Sharing with 9 others was just too much.

I like having a morning class and an afternoon class. This year I share students with only one other teacher. They are students in language immersion so I have them for LA/SS and the other teacher has them for math and science in the target language.
tgbwc is offline   Reply With Quote

SteelerFan

We do
Old 01-21-2018, 04:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

In our case, I have found that I can really differentiate for the needs of students if I concentrate on one or two subjects.
I have taught many configurations based on 2, 3, or 4 sections of the grade level.
Feel free to PM me with questions.
SteelerFan is offline   Reply With Quote