Third Grade

Contemplating a Grade Level Change

>

loveteachgrow

Contemplating a Grade Level Change
Old 01-23-2018, 06:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello fellow teachers!

This is my second year as a teacher, and my second year as a third grade teacher. My third graders have brought me great joy, and I absolutely love the content I teach my students. However, I cannot seem to get the idea of teaching a primary grade out of my head (I was praying for a kinder/first grade position when I started applying for jobs). I am not sure if it is the testing that puts me at unease with the third grade, or if it's because I am inexperienced and do not know what my teaching niche is. I made up my mind a while ago about discussing my feelings with my administrator. I am not worried about my administrator saying "no". As I stated earlier, I enjoy teaching third grade. I am more worried about switching to a primary grade level and realizing the switch was not a good idea. I am fully aware third graders come to me with A LOT of knowledge (thank you primary teachers ), and I am concerned about moving to a grade level where the students are less independent.

I have a lot of love to give and a fierce passion for reading. I strive to create a classroom environment in which all students feel accepted, valued, and wanted.

What are your guys' thoughts? Do you sometimes have to take the leap and hope for the best? Have you moved from an upper grade to a primary grade? What was your experience like?

loveteachgrow is offline   Reply With Quote

choppie70

Old 01-24-2018, 04:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I taught 2nd grade for over ten years. About 5 years ago, one of our third grade teachers was retiring. We had 3 second grade teachers at the time, and were going to have to go down to 2 for the following year. One of the second grade teachers had to move to third.

One of those second grade teachers had just made the move to 2nd grade after teaching 4th grade for many years. The second had taught 2nd grade for a long time, but just moved to our school. I felt that since I had been in 2nd grade for a while I would offer to move to 3rd grade.

I think I was also getting a bit restless at 2nd grade. I wanted to teach something a bit different and stretch myself as a teacher.

I was given the choice to move back down to 2nd grade this year, but chose to stay in 3rd grade.

Change can be good. It can also be difficult and you may question whether you made the right decision or not.
choppie70 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

I understand...
Old 01-24-2018, 02:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I started in 1st, then moved to K for 3 years. Then I jumped to 3rd grade. I’m now in my 5th year.

Pros:
- Reading to learn! I love comprehension and you can get into some great texts.
- Independence: with so much... work, projects, quiet reading, technology, etc.
- The age: they are still “little” but old enough to be responsible, laugh at jokes, do fun stuff
- Bathroom & Shoelaces: seriously it gets old real fast. 3rd graders = non issue.

Cons:
- Testing
- The jump from 2nd to 3rd is huge! For example, I always show my parents in the beginning of the year the last lesson of the final chapter in the 2nd grade Math workbook. Then, I show and compare the first lesson of the first chapter of the 3rd grade Math workbook. The difference is staggering - teacher read directions vs. independent reading, font size, vocab, # of Qs, etc..

Either way I love both grades. Some days I miss my Kinders and the songs, crafts, and Kinder things. Other days I absolutely love the independence or content that we’re working on in 3rd.

Ultimately, you’ll never know for sure unless you try it.
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote

loveteachgrow

Old 01-24-2018, 03:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you so much for your response! I appreciate you taking the time to help me out!
I actually taught 2nd and 3rd grade math and science for the first semester last year, and the difference between 2nd and 3rd is astounding!
loveteachgrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Lilacs

Old 02-07-2018, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

2nd is soooooo much easier than first. If you are worried about independent skills do not try first. It is wonderful but physically and mentally exhausting. I love watching them learn to read and the light bulb moment. Most second grade have some skills that are developed. I went into teaching only wanting first and refusing other positions. After going to second and being a little older myself, I would prefer second, but may be put back into first next year. You really have to drag them out of the baby kindergarten stage (and parents too). For some kids it can be a rough transition. Just my personal opinion. Best of luck.

Lilacs is offline   Reply With Quote