Help

Second Grade

1/2 Combo Team Teaching

>

lotsalyons

1/2 Combo Team Teaching
Old 01-24-2018, 05:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Due to laws lowering class size, I started this year with a 1/2 Combo class. Back in December we got another position so they hired a first grade teacher. She is going to take my Firsties out for about two hours in the morning for CKLA (district racing/phonics program). Iíll have second grade in our classroom at that time to do Fundations, guided reading and whole group ELA. The challenge is math. They want her to push into the other two second grades to do remediation during their math. She wants to stay in my room and do that or ???? Having trouble figuring this one out. Before she came I would either teach first while second worked on a skill sheet then switch and do the opposite with second. Centers were just too distracting even when they were quiet, for those who were receiving core instruction. Recently Iíve started pulling first along with second by modeling, doing hands-on guided practice and then differentiation. This has worked with our shape unit but Iím afraid it will be harder when we get into second grade three digit math. Iím at a loss. I like my new partner. Sheís very energetic and easy to work with. Do any if you have any pointers?

lotsalyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Combo teaching
Old 01-25-2018, 07:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

my school often had several combos. One thing we all agreed on was how to help each other in math.

This is what worked for us: we split the kids up for math. Ideally, the combo teacher kept the biggest grade level group for math and sent the smaller group to another classroom for math. Sometimes you'd have to split the groups between teachers. So, I might have my 12 second graders and another teachers 8 second graders, and my firsties went to a first grade room.

Or, I just kept all my second graders and split up the firsties between two other classes, and vice versa.

The worst, though, was my last year. There were a lot of primary combos, K through 2. I ended up with 32 second graders for math, as did another second grade teacher, and we were just starting to use the Bridges Program. Our P gave us an aid for half the time.

I'm sure I could have explained this more concisely, but I'm tired!
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote