Help

Gifted Education

differentiated lesson plan

>

readerleader

differentiated lesson plan
Old 01-25-2018, 05:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have an assignment for a gifted class. I have to create a lesson plan that differentiates between high achieving and gifted students. For example, one does a poster, the other creates a powerpoint. I am looking for other suggestions on how I can differentiate.

readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

ccsteacher001

Thoughts on the differentiated lesson plan...
Old 02-01-2018, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Please don't take this the wrong way but I'm not sure that differentiating the product is really targeting the difference between high achieving learners and gifted learners. Gifted students may already know the material before the lesson takes place. Not sure if this is ELA or math but let's take math for example. Gifted students might be able to analyze word problems that were solved incorrectly and explain the errors that were committed. These students might also be engaged in writing their own problems based on the skill. High achieving students will likely need instruction before working independently but can probably complete independent practice sooner that students that are struggling or working on grade level. Additionally, high achievers might benefit from flipped instruction with opportunity to play a math game for further practice. Yes both groups of students can benefit from projects like the poster and Powerpoint but I think that providing a choice board would allow students to pick from a variety of options based on their own level of interest and understanding. Maybe you could do a choice board that has activities better suited for high achievers and a separate choice board for gifted learners. Either way, I would include a rubric and clear criteria. Hope this helps a little.
ccsteacher001 is offline   Reply With Quote

readerleader

Old 02-02-2018, 05:06 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I totally agree with you. My thought has been, "don't we have high expectations of all students?" That being said, I still have to do the assignment. We are required to include two rubrics showing the differentiation. That you for your response.
readerleader is offline   Reply With Quote

yesteach

Content, Process, Product
Old 03-29-2018, 01:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

You could differentiate by product; however, I wouldn't consider one doing a poster and one doing a PowerPoint as differentiation - the differentiation comes in what you have them include in the product. The depth and complexity of the product is what creates the differentiation - where it falls on Bloom's, not what it is.

I found this excerpt from one of Carol Tomlinson's books, if you've not read it, it's helpful. I also have a book at home that I can not remember the name of... I'll find it and add it when I get home tonight. Also, if you want to see a good example of differentiated products, using menus, Laurie Westphal's Differentiating with Menus is a great resource.

I agree that you differentiating the content, as stated above is what most people think of, but often what I'm teaching determines whether I use content, process or product.

Also, I agree that we should have high expectations for all students; however, my expectation for the depth and rate at which my gifted students learn is different than that for my high achieving students, simply because of their ability to process information. It's not that I don't expect the high ones to get it, I just expect it to take a little more time and a little more in-depth instruction that what I'd give my gifted kids.
yesteach is offline   Reply With Quote