Early Childhood Education (Pre-K)

Hugs in PreK

>

hugsforall

hugsforall

Hugs in PreK
Old 01-25-2018, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone have a hugger in their class? My DD who is 5 likes to hug her classmates and we hug at home. What should I teach her about hugging at school and her class mates? Do some parents complain about their child getting touched? Help!

Prekteach13

Prekteach13

Old 01-25-2018, 06:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I teach all my students that they have to ask before they touch someone. When I have a "hugger" we practice asking "can I have a hug please?" before giving a hug. Many students don't like being hugged, and I've definitely gotten complaints from parents when they feel like another student is being too physical with their child. I've also given the higher a job as a greeter in the morning. They get to stand by the door and give everyone a hug or a high 5. It gives them the chance to give hugs in an appropriate way.
Newto3s

Newto3s

Old 01-27-2018, 04:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I've never had parents complain, because usually the child who doesn't want a hug will complain or avoid the hugger. I'm not big on little Prek students solve their problems all on their own, but this is one situation I find they're able to.

Smurfyteach

Most want hugs!! It's a good thing!
Old 02-14-2018, 03:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Yes, have had a million little huggers and those whom you speak to sometimes because they cling so tight! But, YOU are the step in parent all day. It's natural. They are young. There is something seriously wrong if you won't or don't hug children in these early years. You definitely don't need help.
Smurfyteach is offline   Reply With Quote