Help

BusyBoard

confidence in reading and writing

>

Flaggerdoot

confidence in reading and writing
Old 01-29-2018, 10:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My fifth grader currently loves to read and write, however when it comes time to test in those areas she lacks confidence in herself and tests poorly. At home in a more comfortable environment she does well, but in school when it is in a more tense environment she shuts down. I am trying to research ways to teach confidence in herself in those areas, because it is not in any other subject other than those two. When she sees the correct answer for any reading comprehension she always kicks herself (not literally) and says, "I knew I should have went with my first response." For writing she will take a very long time to think of a response just so it can be the "perfect" response, so much time that she ends up not being able to finish assignments in the allotted time while everyone else does. Any suggestions or tips on how I can help improve her confidence in those areas, other than read more because like I said she loves these two subjects. She does them everyday at home, and she enjoys it and I don't want to make it where it becomes not enjoyable for her.

Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Okay
Old 01-30-2018, 01:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read your post yesterday and see that you have no replies yet. Not sure that I can help. However, I was a very nervous timed test taker in almost all subjects except math.

My dad was a very wise man. He taught me early on to not doubt myself – that almost always my first answer choice was the correct one. That would be on a multiple-choice question. As result, I always shared this advice with my fourth graders. There’s so much pressure on them these days. In a multiple-choice question, I also would cover all the answers, think what my answer would be, and then look for the one closest to what I thought.

You should’ve seen my first teacher observation! I was a true nervous wreck (with a great lesson plan and student repore). and it took me a long time to relax. What helped me personally was the many years I worked in a learning center in the corporate learning center where we were constantly being observed working with our students. Over time, I learned to just ignore them.

OK, now for the writing. The only thing I can think of is to have her practice writing at home under timed conditions. Also, perhaps reassuring your daughter that if she tries her best at school that’s all she needs to do.

Good luck. I understand.
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Flaggerdoot

Much appreciated
Old 01-30-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I try to always remind her that her best is what counts. Thank you for the idea of having her do timed reading responses at home. That is a great idea in order for her to get comfortable with the concept. I think that will definitely help her. When I was student teaching I had the same issue I was a nervous wreck and only was comfortable after doing it multiple times. I appreciate the response!
Flaggerdoot is offline   Reply With Quote