Help

BusyBoard

Sight Word Activities for small groups

>

3monkeys

Sight Word Activities for small groups
Old 01-29-2018, 12:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am an interventionist who work with small groups of students (usually 3-5 students). What are some good sight word activities I could do with my small groups--specifically kindergarten and first grade? TIA!

3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Old 01-29-2018, 02:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I'd love some ideas for older students who struggle with reading and retaining sight words. Thanks for starting the thread, 3monkeys, and thanks in advance to posters who are willing to share!
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

liberty teach

Snap!
Old 01-29-2018, 02:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Write each word being studied on small index cards, making multiple sets. Write the word SNAP! On several more cards. Put all cards into a container. First student takes a card, and gets to keep it as long as s/he can correctly read the word. If a player draws the SNAP! Card, all of his/her cards go back unto container.
liberty teach is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-29-2018, 04:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

1. I have my students practice writing them, saying them, spelling them over and over. I make it more "fun" by allowing them to write on the table with a dry erase marker (IF your table is a darker color, it will erase right off- check first) or by letting them do different color crayons on a tactile board. For example, "What word is this? The. Write and spell the. T-h-e (they say the letters while they spell them). What's the word? The. How do you spell it? T-h-e. Write it again. T-h-e. What's the word? The. What's the word? The. Johnny, you spell it for us this time. What's this word? How do we spell it?" I know it sounds boring but I don't have any problems getting my kids to participate, especially if I'm using an excited tone of voice (especially easy for the young ones). After we spell, write, and say it many times, I ask them to use the word in a sentence. In a span of 2-3 minutes they've heard it said and spelled 20+ times.

2. Missing letter- you write the word with a missing letter, they try to write the whole word. Review the word/spelling together. For example, you write "t_e" and they write "the" on their boards. Practice it a few times taking away different letters or letting a student choose the missing letter.

3. Mystery Sentence- similar to cloze sentences, but I give them a choice of 3 sight words to choose from. I do this when they know the words fairly well but need more practice. For example, I might set out word cards for "she" "we" and "be," review the words, and then show the sentence, "___ are going to play." Students write down which word makes sense in the sentence and then you review together.

4. Word Hunt- Have several different sight words posted around the room. Students stand in the middle. You say a word, then they have to find that word, trace it with their finger, and say it again.

5. I do a few variations of Around the World also (bonus- I often have students earn this game with good behavior, even though it's really just more academic practice ). With some groups I do the traditional Around the World game with the sight word flashcards. With others, I go around the circle and quickly show one child at a time a word. If they say it within 3 seconds, they keep it. If I have to say it, I keep it. At the end they count their cards and depending on the group I try to have them beat each other or with more touchy groups just focus on having them get more cards than me. With really small groups, like a group of 3, I might show the card to everyone at once and give it to whoever says it first.

6. Give students a sight word flashcard and have them write their own sentence using that word.

7. Word finder- give students a highlighter and let them highlight every time they see a certain sight word(s) in text and count them (obviously, you have to copy the book pages so they're on regular paper). I do this with Reading A-Z books.

I heard about the "snap" game at a PD at the beginning of this year, planned to try it, and completely forgot until I saw this post. Thanks liberty teach!
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-29-2018, 04:24 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

You can also do "mix it and fix it" - give them the letters for a specific word (or have them find the letters) and then they mix them up and spell it correctly.

Go fish

Memory

paint them with water on a chalkboard (or outside)

Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ConnieWI

Website
Old 01-29-2018, 05:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

www.sightwords.com

This website has many games.

You can use the sight words they already made, or make your own set.
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

ConnieWI, thank you!!!
Old 01-30-2018, 03:15 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I have never heard of that web site before. It looks wonderful! Thank you for sharing that resource!
teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Sight words
Old 01-30-2018, 02:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Connie beat me to it! That site has flash cards you can print out, full page, half page, and quarter page. The words have arrows below them to help the "directionally" challenged . You can also make your own flashcards if you choose to change the sequence or need flashcards for different content areas.

Also google RTI Menu, Henry County, pdf. About midway through the 400+ pages is a unit on Dolch words. It's broken into lessons of ten words each. Assessments, progress monitoring, graphs, activities, as well as flashcard masters are included, FREE!!! Great to use it you have assistants or tutors.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 01-30-2018, 03:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

One of my favorite easy games is called Roll Say Keep. Here's an example. You can find the board in many sizes and essentially just need flash cards and a dice to play.

https://missmernagh.com/2016/01/22/f...eep-printable/

You put one word in each of 6 spaces and students take turns rolling the dice and reading the word on that number. If they get it right they can keep it and replace it with a new word. This game is great because often the word is on the board for a while so students see it for an extended period of time. It also allows wait time for students who may not get enough with many games.

I also bought one of those dice with plastic sleeves in it recently. I put a sight word in each of the 6 sides and then let students roll and say the word. They enjoy it and it's quick and easy.

Finally, I recently purchased a packet in TeacherPayTeacher with editable sight word games and one with sight word lesson plans. The game one has a ton of games and the other has easy readers that focus on particular sight words.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Lillybabe...
Old 01-30-2018, 04:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Why did you have to recommend those dice??? Or course I clicked on the link, but they were unavailable! Of course I then went to Amazon and lo and behold they have them for the same price plus free shipping and handling. I still had $0.84 left over from my bonus points. How could I resist? They'll arrive on Thursday!

Just when i think my buying days for school supplies are over, and they should be, someone comes along with another great suggestion!

I am currently working with 4 small groups of kindergarteners on sight words. I think they'll love rolling the die. Thank you.

RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

3monkeys

Thank you!
Old 01-31-2018, 08:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Wow! Thank you so much for your responses. Great ideas!
3monkeys is offline   Reply With Quote