BusyBoard

Subs - Find your own

>

Sprite

Subs - Find your own
Old 01-30-2018, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

This is partly a rant..

When we have to call out sick, we are responsible for finding out own subs. This stresses me out so much. It makes it so that I don't even want to call out.

We have a list and have to call each one and ask if they'd be willing to sub.

In my old district, I didn't need a sub for my classroom, which meant I also did not need sub plans. I was basically resource. However, the teachers who did need to get subs had something called ASEOP. You were required to call the P and let her know. She was insistent on it being a live call too for some reason.

What is your protocol for obtaining a sub? Call on your own. They do provide a list of options, but it is slim for a school of over 100 teachers. Maybe 10 subs on the list.

How many sick days do you get per year? 12 and 2 personal - You can carry over all sick days and 1 personal per year.

Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 01-30-2018, 05:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I put in for a sub online. I don't even have to notify the P or office staff anymore.
Currently we get 10 sick days, 3 personal days, and 2 emergency days. Unused personal days roll over into sick days.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Answers
Old 01-30-2018, 05:52 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I'm not sure what you are ranting about. Teachers always find their own subs. We either submitted a request online or by phone.

I have no memory of how many sick days we got, but it was generous. They could be carried over. When I retired after 25 years I had over 500 hours of sick leave.
travelingfar is online now   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 01-30-2018, 05:53 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

This doesn't belong on the teacher's lounge...

What is your protocol for obtaining a sub? We can call, but we can also put it in an automated system and let it find the sub. I never call.

How many sick days do you get per year? 10 (I think) and 3 personal - You actually get 2 personal, and then at some point past the halfway if you haven't taken any sick time, you get your 3rd personal. You lose personal days if you don't take them. I think they carry over a while, but I use mine after I was told you lose them. Sick days carry over, but we don't get anything for them when you retire, so...

If we use any days they count against us on our evaluation.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

Shelby3

never heard of
Old 01-30-2018, 06:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

arranging for my own sub, other than calling into the system. Many teachers request certain subs and alert them prior to an absence, but they don't set the whole thing up.

Contact your district's HR and ask about the protocol for this and see what their reaction is!

Shelby3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

travelingfar..
Old 01-30-2018, 06:32 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

travelingfar, I think you mean to notify the school and put out a call to all subs? I mean actually calling the subs at home personally and one by one asking each of them to sub for us.

I'm sure there could be an easier way to arrange for a sub, but we don't do it.

ICrazyTeach, what are emergency days? Are these for school emergency days or like personal emergency days?

kahluablast --> I'll be happy to have it moved where it belongs. Where does it go?

eagles23

Old 01-30-2018, 07:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

What is your protocol for obtaining a sub? I work at a private school and we have to call our own as well. It has been rough this year because the list of potential subs is not very long this year. I have never woken up and sick and had to call, but I imagine that would be awful. I have gotten a migraine at school and needed to leave and the office secretary took pity on me and called someone in for me.

How many sick days do you get per year? 10 sick days, 2 personal, and they just added 2 that they listed as family days which we all equate to having 4 personal days. Sick days carry over and if you don't use the personal days they go into your sick day carry over. Family days are just lost if not used. I have so many sick days in my bank that I could miss almost a whole year! If I ever decide to leave, they will buy them back. (Not for what they are really worth, but it is better than just losing them.)

Sprite - Just FYI - They are probably going to move this and the other post about school times to the Busy Board. That is where school related posts should go. You can also put rants and things that are bothering you over on the Vent Board. The teachers' lounge is for all things not school related.
eagles23 is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Subs
Old 01-30-2018, 07:23 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Sprite -- We could call subs individually if we wanted. That was our preference because we could pick the ones we wanted. Or we could go online to request subs, and one would be assigned to us.

Yes, it was a pain in the neck at times.

marguerite2

Old 01-30-2018, 07:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

We've always had to call in. Years ago we called a sub finder between certain hours. It was often hard to get through when there was a lot of illness. And when one teacher had laryngitis, she had to put her four year old on the phone so the sub finder could hear who she was.

Then we went to a voice mail system. Much easier as you could call at 1 am and not worry about falling asleep and missing the time window to call in.

Now they use ASEOP.

15 sick days. Unused roll over to 150.
1 personal days. One can roll over so you can have 2 max each year.
Unused sick days are paid at a small rate at retirement.

I can't imagine having to find my own sub. It's doable when you know in advance, but... Both of my parents died unexpectedly. I got very early morning calls each time. I called the voice mail around 4 am. I don't know how you could find your own sub in an emergency.
marguerite2 is offline   Reply With Quote

MKat

Old 01-30-2018, 07:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Not only is calling subs individually horrible for teachers, but it would really suck for subs too. Can you imagine everyone having your phone number and calling?

MKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Teddi9192

Old 01-30-2018, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

15 sick days a year. You can accumulate up to 265. 3 personal days which can accumulate up to 12 and then they roll into our severance which we get 1/4 of upon retirement. I have 10 right now so I will use 1 before the end of the year. We get a bonus if we don't use 5 sick days ($500 - $100 for each sick day) I had to have surgery so I have missed 12 days so far. I don't feel guilty in the least. I have 2 more doctors appts scheduled and didn't worry about them being in the middle of the day

We call or text our P and a sub coordinator and they find the subs. If we know we are going to be out we can just tell the secretary and she will request a sub. If they don't find one, it is their problem, not ours.
Teddi9192 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 01-30-2018, 09:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
If they don't find one, it is their problem, not ours.
This is the attitude I wish I had.

travelingfar

Yup
Old 01-30-2018, 10:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I agree. If I fill out a leave slip and submit my online request for a sub, it isn't my problem if the job isn't filled.

jazzer

Old 01-30-2018, 10:59 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

Years ago I taught at a Catholic high school where all teachers on staff were required to sub for any colleagues who were out. The thought was that we worked at the school and knew all of the kids which would make student behavior better. We would sub during our prep time.

We had 80 minute class periods and each staff member would do 40 minutes so the teachers subbing would only lose half of their prep time. I always hated when I was assigned to sub because I always had plans I wanted or needed to work on.

We did not have to find a colleague to sub for us though. The secretary would look at which class period each teacher had prep and assign from there.

When I worked for a traveling band company, there were maybe two people we could call to sub. I never took a day off in four years because of the hassle of that.

When I had my own business and when I taught general music, the students just did not have lessons or music class that day.
jazzer is offline   Reply With Quote

Peaches Pears

Old 01-30-2018, 11:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

Quote:
I'm not sure what you are ranting about. Teachers always find their own subs. We either submitted a request online or by phone.
Never.
I was never responsible for finding my own supply teacher, except for a period of time when it was actually part of my job as acting VP, to find all the supply teachers for our staff.
I started teaching in 1975.
The protocol was to call the vice-principal (anytime after 6 AM) to report your absence. VP then called supply teachers.

About 20 years ago the system switched to an automated, Board wide calling system. Teachers call the system, report the absence and reason for absence (with a code #), records details for the supply teacher. The automated system then starts to make calls to supply teachers to fill vacancies. These calls are made in order so all supply teachers have equal opportunities to work. Once you are called, your name goes to the bottom of the list.

The first thing admin and secretaries do when they get to school is check for any unfilled vacancies. At that point, they can make calls to get emergency, last minute supply teachers.

Each school collects names and numbers for qualified teachers who are willingly to come in last minute. These people are not paid the full supply rate since they are not on the official list. Some are trying to get on the list, while others are retired and only want to teach close to home. Retired teachers can supply teach 50 days/school year.

There are about 200 qualified teachers on the Board wide Short-term Occasional Teachers List.
We have such a surplus of teachers (even in my rural area) that is quite difficult to get on the list. But that is a rant for another time.
There is another list for Long-term Occasional Teachers that is yet another hoop to jump. It is not easy to get on that list either.
Peaches Pears is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 01-30-2018, 11:50 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

I'm retired as of this year, but never had to find my own subs. When I started, we had to make a phone call to the district sub finder to request a sub. In more recent years, we used AESOP. I can't imagine finding my own.

We got, I think, 12 sick days and 2 personal days a year.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 01-30-2018, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

We use Aesop. We don't have to notify anyone if we're out, unless it's after a certain time (I think maybe 6 AM?). If it's too late the secretary can still put it in for you.

A previous P made us contact her personally if we were going to be out, even though that school also used Aesop. It was just another way for her to micromanage. I will say, I was too nervous to take anything like a "mental health day" or schedule something that probably could be scheduled out of school hours in that district, so I suppose it did cut down on absences, but cut down morale as well!

We get 10 "annual leave days" that roll over in my current district. They can be used for anything as long as it's not a PD day or day directly before/after a holiday. In fact, it's in our contract that admin is not allowed to ask us why we were out.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Song of Joy

Old 01-30-2018, 05:14 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

We used to have to call our own sub when I first started teaching at this private school. But if you're sick and can't get out of bed, how in the world are you supposed to go down a list and call until you find someone to help.

We (I) complained about it, so now the teacher just contacts the principal and the principal finds the sub. Believe me, having a principal call and ask someone to sub carries a whole lot more weight.

I think making the teacher make those phone calls is lousy.
Song of Joy is offline   Reply With Quote

Ima Teacher

Old 01-30-2018, 06:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

What is your protocol for obtaining a sub?
We call the district sub coordinator. She finds a sub for us, then calls the school and let's them know which subs will be working for which teachers that day. We can also email if we know ahead of time. I very rarely have a day where I need a sub last minute, so I usually just email. We can ask for a particular person if there is a reason. For instance, I have two I prefer because they both used to teach my subject. One was my student teacher years ago, so she knows my room well.

My DH works in a much larger district. He uses an online system.

How many sick days do you get per year?
I get 10 sick and 3 personal. The sick roll over, and the personal convert to sick. DH has the same, I think.
Ima Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

sub
Old 01-31-2018, 07:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I text, email, or call our secretary depending on how much notice she needs.
If in advance, email or text, sudden then we call her.
She logs into the sub program and post the job with the agency that provides our subs.

We get 9 sick days per year and 2 personal days.
I have built up 45 sick days and 5 peronal days.
Can you tell I have been teaching since the age of the dinosuars?
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote