Help

Kindergarten

Word Work Question

>

Lillybabe

Word Work Question
Old 01-30-2018, 07:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Can anyone give me a run down on what word work you expect kindergarteners to have mastered by the end of the year? For example cvc, cvce, vowel teams, etc. What concepts are just introduced but not taught for mastery?

Additionally, does anyone use Deanna Jump? I find it odd that the lessons for kindergarten and first grade are the same starting in January. It has them starting vowel teams and I don't feel like my kids are ready for it. However, being new to this school I don't really want to cause waves.

Currently my class can all read cvc words correctly fairly consistently (I have one little guy who will sometimes turn mat into sat or at without support stretching it out), can read 35-65 sight words, and has some knowledge of sh, th, ch, ee, and silent e. That said about half my class can read at a DRA C or D depending on the particular book which I've always been told was the end of the year goal for K.

Deanna Jump also teaches the "When two vowels go walking the first one does the talking" rule which is true less than 50% of the time. The bossy e rule is also only true 50% of the time. I am hesitant to teach rules to impressionable kindergarten students when they aren't true.

https://blog.allaboutlearningpress.com/when-two-vowels-go-walking/

Lillybabe is online now   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 01-31-2018, 08:37 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Mastery - cvc words, as well as knowing all letters and sounds.

My high kids usually are starting to get many long vowel pairs, silent e, etc. They are introduced to all but I don't expect mastery from all.

I also introduce digraphs, which most of the kids can tell me the sound in isolation but only half can apply when reading and writing.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-01-2018, 10:27 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Pretty much what sbkangas5 said.

I emphasize phonemic awareness first.
ICrazyTeach is online now   Reply With Quote