Help

Kindergarten

Community Helpers/Neighborhoods

>

SevernK

Community Helpers/Neighborhoods
Old 02-02-2018, 05:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi! I teach Kindergarten and am looking to spruce up my community helper/neighborhood unit. I am looking for engaging/hands-on activities and book suggestions. Thank you!

SevernK is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 02-03-2018, 10:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Can you visit places in your community? In the old days, we used to take monthly field trips to local places in our community like post office, grocery store, firehouse, bank, hospital, police station, a nursery, veterinarian, dentist office...farm. Then we would set up an area in the classroom with dress up stuff/props for students to role play.

For a culminating activity at the end of the year, we created our own community. Students drew different houses and buildings which were taped onto wood blocks. We drew roads/streets on bulletin board paper and they decided where to put the different places in our community.

Maybe locate different places in your community using Google Earth. Have guest speakers from your community come in to share about their jobs.

Another idea- I have posters of different community helpers with the face cut out. Students pick one and "wear" it. They pretend they are that community helper and tell us what they do and show us tools they use in their job.

My students have fun making up riddles for us to guess the community helper.

Post Office Project:
For Valentine's Day, we set up a post office in our classroom. I send home a letter ahead of time because I have my students use their valentine cards for this activity. I assign the students pretend addresses that they need to put on the envelopes. Students also design their own mailboxes at home to bring in for the activity.

I made a Google Slide presentation about the post office that I share with my students before we start the activity. Here is a link: https://goo.gl/pTmebR I have it set to Make a Copy so if you click on it, you will have your own copy and can edit/tweak it to fit your needs.

Then students rotate through stations-customers (count out pennies, buy stamps, put stamps on envelopes), postal clerks (collect and count the money, distribute the stamps), mail handlers (collect stamped mail from the mailbox, stamp the date, cancel the postage by drawing 3 lines through it with marker), mail sorters (get canceled mail from bin and sort it by street names which are colors) and mailmen (collect mail for their street, put in mailbag and go deliver mail to individual mailboxes)
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

SevernK

Community Helpers
Old 02-03-2018, 03:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thank you so much! Those are some very creative and helpful ideas. We will be visiting the police and fire stations in March. We may try to squeeze in the post office as well so the slides you sent are great! Thank you again!
SevernK is offline   Reply With Quote

NoKetchup

Old 02-05-2018, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We used to do community helpers and my students loved the unit. Our favorite activity was near the end the students would be put in groups and I would trace one student from each group. They had to work together the decorate the outline like their community helper.
NoKetchup is offline   Reply With Quote