Help

Paraprofessionals

Feeling annoyed

>

MnToCa

Feeling annoyed
Old 02-06-2018, 09:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am working with a student who in his class he is having problems with another student. The kid today and yesterday got up during class and left the room.

My admin told me today that HE CANNOT LEAVE CLASS. She yells at me for this. How can i control what a 16 year old boy does? I specifically asked him to go back to class multiple times.

Ive been working with him past 18 months, and he has a lot of personal issues, yet I am expected to try and keep him in class if hes freaking out and storming out.

MnToCa is offline   Reply With Quote

twin2

Old 02-07-2018, 03:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Forcing the kid to stay in class could escalate the situation. It is up to the teacher in charge of that student to come up with a plan (to help this student stay in the classroom). If the teacher needs to reach out to others for assistance, he or she needs to follow whatever chain is in place for that. At the school here, the teacher would consult with either the special education teacher for that grade level or the guidance counselor if appropriate for the situation. In other words, in most cases, a para works under the direction of the teacher. Telling a para to keep the student in the room is not a plan. If it were me, I would ask for a plan because you cannot force a student to stay in the room and the decision to leave the room is on the student, not the para.

Last edited by twin2; 02-07-2018 at 06:45 PM..
twin2 is offline   Reply With Quote

lovemymonster

Old 02-19-2018, 07:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Actually, he can leave the class. If he refuses to comply with a request to return to the classroom, then admin needs to come up with a strategy of what to do when he leaves the room. Why is he leaving the room? If he is upset or frustrated, that may in fact be an appropriate coping strategy and preventing him from doing this could lead to escalation. A better plan might be to have him let you know when he needs a break, and agree upon a return time. That way, you both get what you need (he gets a break, you maintain authority).
lovemymonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

trail him
Old 03-18-2018, 03:48 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It's not possible to block any student but it sounds as if that the admin also wants you to supervise this kid. If that's the case then by all means, try and trail him so that he gets the message that he is not supposed to just up and go. It's natural that he's going to form a bond with you this way as his "friend". Your job is to also keep him inside the class and to touch base with teachers so they are in the loop. The teacher's job is to inform the admin of the student's whereabouts with your coordination. It's about supervision.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote
Frank2018

Frank2018

Let him walk out
Old 03-28-2018, 07:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I worked as a para at a k-5 school. Teachers allowed elementary school students to sit outside of their classroom, run a lap, or walk it off if they felt distressed or irritable. Having a distressed student inside the classroom creates more chaos and unfortunately makes the teacher irritable. I had to maintain calm inside the classroom when a fourth grade teacher lost it with a student. The teacher should have instructed the student to leave the classroom and go to the principal. Had I reacted in the same manner as this teacher, I would have been terminated the next day.

Ashley662552

Ashley662552

What I would do
Old 04-21-2018, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I work with students who have emotional disturbances, ODD, autism, etc.
Not allowing the student to walk out when frustrated is a great way to cause tables being flung across the room.
What I would do is if you see the student getting upset, offer to walk a few laps with him and then return. Talk to the student about what is upsetting them while you are out.
I have had to do this numerous times. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
Sounds like the principal does not have a basic understanding of deescalating behaviors.