Help

Kindergarten

Letter recognition and sounds

>

Readerforlife

Letter recognition and sounds
Old 02-07-2018, 06:13 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I have never taught early childhood, so I posting this question to you guys.

When would a K student be taught the letter names and sounds? It is now February, should they have been taught all 26 by now, or not. I am not sure of the pace of instruction for this age group.

Thank you!

Readerforlife is offline   Reply With Quote

iteachk2010

Old 02-07-2018, 06:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

When I first started teaching K (a zillion years ago), we did letter of the week. It took most of the year to get through the alphabet.

Fast forward 30+ years. Depending upon the group of students, we work on the letters in their names and I do a quick initial introduction to all the letters in Sept/sometimes part of Oct. (1 letter every 1-2 days). We work on reciting the alphabet as we point to each letter on our ABC chart. We have a song that we sing several times throughout the day where we teach the students the letter, the sound, a word and a gesture for that letter. We work on letter formation using wikki stix, play-doh, construction letters, sky writing, water painting on sidewalks, tracing in sand, tracing sheets... and do letter sorts with letter cards (different fonts), magnets, letter tiles.

After that initial introduction, a lot of the students will recognize most of the letters and know their sounds. We have a standards-based report card. For our report card, the expectation is to recognize the uppercase letters, the lowercase letters and the letter sounds by the end of the first marking period (Dec for us). Students must know 21/26 to get Meeting Expectation for UL, LL and LS. They have to know 26/26 by the end of the second marking period (March for us) to get ME.

In October, we start in our formal phonics program called Reading Horizons. So our students will review the letters again. It is more intensive. They start blending sounds and reading/writing c-v-c words.

The letters are put into groups. There are five letter groups. Each letter group has 4-5 consonants and a vowel. The first letter group is a, b, f, d, g. You work with Aa (the letter names and sound) and practice letter formation. After that you do dictation where you either say the name of the letter or its sound and students have to write it. You do the same thing for Bb. Then you learn the letter slides- BA and ba. (Letter slides are initial consonant sounds with a vowel). You continue with the remaining letters. Ff /f/, fa /fa/, Dd /d/ da/da/, Gg ga/ga/. You add the final consonants b, d and g to make c-v-c words.
iteachk2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readerforlife

Thank you!
Old 02-08-2018, 10:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

WOW! Thank you for the detail response. This is just want I needed.
Thank you so much!

Sbkangas5

Old 02-08-2018, 12:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I hope that my students know them all by November, but they never all do. Those who don't know most of them start with intervention. If they don't know them all by spring conferences (March) we start the SST process.

We do an introduction of all of them the first 3 weeks of school. Then we move into a letter of the week, but it's more of a springboard for other activities, not to learn the actual letter and sound.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Readerforlife

Thank you!
Old 02-09-2018, 05:55 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Your response has been very helpful. I appreciate you taking the time to reply.