Help

BusyBoard

Retired teacher Needs Help ASAP!

>

Nanny7

Retired teacher Needs Help ASAP!
Old 02-08-2018, 02:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

HELP! I retired last August and still have crates in my garage of teaching resources. Some organized by the CCSS. I have 7 grandchildren and want to save a few for volunteering or tutoring grandkids. But right now I have no desire to sub.

What do I keep, toss, donate (and if so where) so I can move forward in my journey into retirement.

Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Nanny7 is offline   Reply With Quote

readnteach13

Old 02-08-2018, 03:52 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

How about a yard sale? As a new-ish teacher, I LOVE a good yard sale from retired teachers. I once got 15 clipboards for $5! I would keep things that have some sentimental value to you, have the grandkids look through it and grab what they like, and donate or sell the rest. I canít help with what to throw out, because Iím a secret (albeit organized) hoarder of all things teacher related.
readnteach13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Nanny7

Garage sale- Spring/Summer?
Old 02-08-2018, 05:02 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Thanks for your thoughtful input! As one hoarder to another, I'm celebrating all I have given to new teachers and also donated. However I still have 15 crates full of resources. Any SUV donation loads. I cringe when I think about dumping it in the recycle bin because I've work so hard gathering the resources and want them to go to a good home. However, It's holding me back and also I'm realize new teachers are much more tech savvy and just go online to get resources now.

My own children are minimalists and therefore took very little. Which I understand them not wanting to go through my resources. A realization that What I have seen as valuable is not always valuable to others. I'm thankful I made 1 large pile of hardcover books for each of my grandchildren.

I love your idea of a garage sale-maybe a great time in spring or summer? Thanks again for your ideas. Hope your school year is going well.
Nanny7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sprite

Old 02-08-2018, 08:29 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Look into whether or not there is a county or community center where you can donate the items. My teacher friend told me about a thrift shop type of store she went to for teachers where they had older/donated teacher supplies that were given as a donation. You could then go and for $5 get a huge box and fill it with whatever you wanted. Check/ask around and see if anyone has heard of something like this. Maybe even google 'community teacher resource center' or something like that?

Also, are you on NextDoor in your community? If so, make a post offering your things you don't want to other teachers in different districts around the area, homeschoolers, families, etc.

Donate any nice games, books, clipboards, office supplies to the Salvation Army. Make sure to get a receipt too!

Consider posting an ad on Craigslist, offering a home to anyone who'd like it or charge a small price?

If you have lots of books or sets of things consider putting them in lots and putting them up for sale on E-bay. I have bought things this way many times.

I would keep anything that is meaningful to me and get rid of everything else. You are moving on to a new chapter in your life. If there is no emotional/sentimental attachment it's okay to let it go.

Congratulations on your retirement!
Sprite is offline   Reply With Quote

potter403

Old 02-09-2018, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Many teachers I know have left things they won't need at the school or had a tag sale at school.

potter403 is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-09-2018, 07:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Is there a local university that educates teachers? If so, you might call the education department and offer to set up a time for their students to come and browse in your garage. Give or sell cheaply to the students. Besides the opportunity to acquire usable materials, they might benefit from seeing what a teacher really uses.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

giver1940

Go to this link on PT
Old 02-10-2018, 06:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

and see if it helps any.

http://www.proteacher.net/discussion...ad.php?t=41778

They discuss selling things - it's not TPT.

Good luck.
giver1940 is offline   Reply With Quote