Third Grade

Wonders or Ready Gen?

>

Bumpis

Wonders or Ready Gen?
Old 02-09-2018, 12:17 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello there!
We are getting a new reading series and our staff is divided between Ready Gen and Wonders. Does anyone have any experience with either of these series and if so what are your thoughts. Thank you for sharing.

Bumpis is offline   Reply With Quote

Readingal

Old 02-09-2018, 07:55 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We just got wonders this year. I teach second grade. There's lots of components. I do not like the writing. And I think the teachers manual is very poorly laid out. I do like the stories. There are 4 stories each week that share a common theme/essential question and vocabulary. The practice book is bad, but the grammar book is pretty good. Of course my district ordered the practice book and I have to photocopy the grammar book. There's great resources on tpt. There's great online access as well.

Those are my thoughts. We will probably have this program for many many years.
Readingal is offline   Reply With Quote

mishkaoreo

Use Wonders
Old 02-10-2018, 08:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

We had the same choice last year...Wonders/Ready Gen. We found that Ready Gen was very heavy into using technology...(of which we don't have much of). So we chose Wonders. This year is very tough to keep up the pace they want you too in order to at least finish 4 units out of 6 this year. The weekly tests in 4th grade are long...about an hour or so every 6 days. The unit tests are huge and we give them over 3 days, about an hour or so a day. You really have to whip through all the skill work etc to be done in 5 days to give the test on the 6th day. We find the pacing to fast. Maybe because it is our first year of using a series in about 8 years. We were all putting together our own curriculum.
We like that it is differentiated into 3 levels and a potential 4th for ELL) The stories are good and the kids like them. The leveled readers sometimes have the same story but in 3 different levels. Then we can have a whole class discussion. There is an online component (if your district buys it) on there the lesson plans for the week and month are already done. This is a huge time saver.
Do I like it....ask me again in 2 years when the kids coming up have had it and can speed along.
mishkaoreo is offline   Reply With Quote

Bumpis

Ready Gen/Wonders
Old 02-11-2018, 12:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Thank you!
Bumpis is offline   Reply With Quote

Teach4

Wonders
Old 04-19-2018, 10:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

We have Wonders.

I am fine with the texts and reading skills part (we do our own writing and next year are doing a separate grammar program as well).

But, I do like that there are a number of texts that are all all connected around a theme each week. And, of course, we study the same skills through all the texts.

The tests are truly a way of applying the skills. In other words, it is not a test about the texts you've read that week. It is a new, short text (2 pages) followed by 10 questions applying the skills learned that week.

This year, I have a lower group. Technically, the whole test is two new texts, each followed by 10 questions. That would take a LONG time for this group. So, I only give one text with 10 questions and also give the vocabulary test (8 questions).

I send home the other text and 10 questions as practice. I send the answers to that via my newsletter for those families who want to use it as practice.

I don't use the practice book at all. It's not great. I do use some of the reteach activities that I just print out from the website.

Teach4 is offline   Reply With Quote

WordFountain

Wonders
Old 04-20-2018, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

We use Wonders also. You have to cherry-pick out the important stuff otherwise you'd never fit it all in. I teach 3rd:

Cons:
- I'm not crazy about the Weekly Assessments (my class is very very low and struggle to pass). However, we started cutting the length (only 1 cold read and 10 questions instead of 2 texts and this has made a difference)
- I agree that the Practice workbook is not that great - I only use a few pages for each unit. I also print out the other resources from on-line.
- Phonics - I feel like it leaves a lot to the teacher to supplement.

Pros:
- I really like the Guided Reading component
- The intervention lessons / materials.
- The literature and stories are really engaging and the paired texts are great for CCSS.
- Grammar (separate workbook - ours is online so I print weekly packets)

Overall, it's a good program. It just takes a little bit of time to learn how to find what's useful and important
WordFountain is offline   Reply With Quote