Help

Primary Grades (K-2)

Guided Reading Question

>

whiteturtle

Guided Reading Question
Old 02-18-2018, 11:17 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm curious about what different teachers do...

How often do you meet with groups by level?

Do you meet with low groups more often and how many times per week?

What do you have your higher level reading students do during Daily 5 to challenge them?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts!

whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 02-18-2018, 02:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I try to meet with every group every day but I have a very small kindergarten class. When I did 5th/6th last year my principal wanted me to see every group everyday even with 25 students. This meant I would only get 10-15 minutes with each group even if I had an hour or more for guided reading. Right now I am spoiled and I have 80 minutes for guided reading Tuesday-Thursday and 60 minutes on Monday/Friday. This allows me to see every group for 15-20 minutes with transitions. Sometimes I see some students one-on-one for 10-15 minutes because that is what they need at that point. Occasionally a group doesn't get to see me due to progress monitoring, assemblies, social worker coming in for social skills lesson, or things just running over and leaving less time for guided reading. However, guided reading is the time I try to protect the most. I cut whole group reading before I cut guided reading because that is when I really get to teach my kids how to read.

I am doing a modified Daily 5. I found Daily 5 cards online and I gave each kid 5 cards. They only get 1-2 independent/partner rotations a day. I allow them to pick any daily 5 activity for their rotation but they have to do all 5 before they can go back to one. This keeps my kids from doing the center they like the best every day and never doing the one they like least. For Word Work I have one of those 10 drawer towers that I loaded with activities (rhyming puzzles, sight word fishing, story sequencing, etc.) and students can pick whichever they wish to work on. My only rule is that they have to do each drawer once before they can do it a second time. Occasionally I switch out the activities before everyone gets to each one. This is somewhat intentional as I make some of them challenging and some easy to differentiate. At the beginning of the year I assigned more specific centers because I was just learning kindergarten and they were just learning my expectations. They really enjoy getting to pick what they do. Due to the fact they can pick from a variety of activities everyone is challenged. Everyone is reading, writing, and doing word work at their own level.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

javamomma

Groups
Old 02-19-2018, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I also try to meet with every group every day. My 2nd graders are not independent enough to do work without me.
javamomma is offline   Reply With Quote

kristeacher

Guided Reading
Old 02-21-2018, 06:11 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

How often do you meet with groups by level?
I meet with every group every day for 45 minutes.For 2 days a week, I teach Comprehension and 3 days I teach Guided Reading. During GR, I divide this group into 2 smaller groups.

Do you meet with low groups more often and how many times per week? I meet with all groups the same number of times.

What do you have your higher level reading students do during Daily 5 to challenge them? During Ind.they read- narrative and informational, work on phonics, books on CD and spelling.

We also have another teacher who takes a group and works on decoding/word solving and comp. So each group only has 10 students in it. The kids rotate from group to group.

Last edited by kristeacher; 02-21-2018 at 04:10 PM.. Reason: Added more
kristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I keep my groups to 4-5 students. My lowest meet with me every day. My higher groups are every other day.
I don't do Daily 5, but have stations that are Daily 5-ish. All of the activities are differentiated for groups of students (not necessarily the same as their reading groups).

ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Marcimcg

Guided reading question
Old 03-14-2018, 01:09 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I meet 2x week with my 2 higher groups and 4-5 times a week for my 8 lower kids.

I use workshop model.

We donít do stations or daily 5. All the kids not working with me are reading. They begin with their own guided reading book and then read their independent level books. They all have 8-10 books in their box and change those weekly.

Sometimes I can pull a group while others are partner reading on carpets.

Word work is done at another time whole class with differentiated activities.

Concepts are introduced whole class mini lessons, best instruction given in small group or individual conferences
Marcimcg is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsJ04463

Guided Reading
Old 05-03-2018, 03:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

In our school, and I've worked in all 3 elementary schools in our district, we have never had training for guided reading. We always just had small groups of kids reading a novel with us based on their running records and pm benchmark scores. I would read some to them, they would silently read, we would discuss the book, ask comprehension questions, write a summary. Then they would go off and do read to self or word work. 90 minutes with a 15 minute lesson goes fast!
Now we are being pushed into guided reading along with the lucy caulkins workshop series, and it is so hard implementing 2 new practices, especially without taking a class. Most days I have no idea what I'm doing. Thankfully 99% of my kids are at grade level or above, so I'm hopefully not damaging them as I use them for guinea pigs!

So, my question is, what do you use for guided reading books? We were told to use these little benchmark rigby books, I was told by a teacher in another district you could use articles from readworks or magazines as well, but without training I just feel like I'm flailing and failing! Even my kids are asking when we can go back to novels!

Asking for help in my building, even the so-called 'reading experts' results in confusion and many different thoughts
MrsJ04463 is offline   Reply With Quote

whiteturtle

Old 05-04-2018, 05:01 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Ugh! I hate when "they" (who don't work with kids) decide what we should to and then don't support us with what we need to be successful. Guided Reading, Responsive Teaching Across the Grades by Fountas and Pinnell is the best book in my opinion to guide you. It's expensive ($60). You should see if your admin will purchase it for you.

We use a mix of leveled books. Some are Rigby, but I think that if you are finding books at the right level you are fine. Use the Scholastic Book Wizard to find the level of your books. Watch some guided reading lessons in your grade level on YouTube also. It helps to see others doing it.

There are so many helpful resources out there for guided reading on TPT and elsewhere, but your district is letting you down without providing training.
whiteturtle is offline   Reply With Quote