Help

Kindergarten

Reading center ideas

>

kindergirl88

Reading center ideas
Old 02-18-2018, 05:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm looking for new ideas for reading centers in my classroom. Just curious if anyone could share some things they do?

kindergirl88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 02-18-2018, 06:35 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I have changed the way I do centers several times this year to make it work with my schedule, give enough time for guided reading groups, and to make it independent. Currently I am doing a Daily 5 hybrid. We rotate roughly every 20 minutes but I have found 15 is plenty most of the time. While I work with a small group or one-on-one students are selecting centers. I found some Daily 5 cards and gave each student a card for each Daily 5 activity. They keep their cards in their book box for easy access. For Read to Self/Read to Someone they read out of their book box, Work on Writing they self select a topic and write about it, Word Work they pick a word work activity (I have these in one of those 10 drawer carts), and for Listen to Reading they listen to an audiobook or use the ipad. I require them to do each of the Daily 5 centers before they can go back to the same one otherwise everyone would want to be on ipad the whole time everyday. In the 10 drawer cart I have a mix of standard word work centers, puzzles, and games. The puzzles are things like match the two rhyming pictures and the games are things like fish for the sight words. Earlier in the year I selected what each student did but we switched to this after Christmas break and so far it is going well. Sometimes they get a bit loud or off task and I have to redirect people. The main issue at the moment is with my small class there ends up being a lot of bickering. They act a lot like siblings.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-19-2018, 12:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Ours are a blend of reading and writing. Here are some of the things we have available on a regular basis:
  • write the room
  • making sight words with magnets or other manipulative letters
  • cutting sight words out of magazines (we do letters at the beginning of the year)
  • handwriting practice (I just put worksheets into page protectors to make them wipe-off)
  • mazes
  • dot-to-dots
  • blank books to write a story
  • story retell with book and props
  • read to a stuffed animal
  • puzzles (either regular puzzles or skill based)
  • make a sentence - using word magnets or tiles or cut up sentences that they have dictated
  • sticker stories
  • "ouch" stories (they get to use a band-aid in the picture)
  • stamp stories
  • fingerprint stories (use fingerprints to make the illustration)
  • write a card to a friend
  • sight word/cvc games (go fish, memory, kaboom)
  • matching letters to pictures or other letters (early in the year)
  • clothespin activities (clip clothespin with a letter to a card with missing letter, picture, etc)
  • pocket chart sorts
That's about all I can think of right now. We don't do traditional centers so kids do 3-4 "must-do" activities during the week (usually Lexia, their abc notebook, and one or two other activities), I pull groups for guided reading or writing, and a parent runs a group that does something to go with our monthly theme or teaches them a new ela game.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote