Help

High School

Teaching Strategies

>

BioEducator87

Teaching Strategies
Old 02-20-2018, 02:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hello! I need some teaching strategies that doesn't involved me 'lecturing'. I am frustrated with students talking, not paying attention, etc when I lecture even for 10 minutes. Any suggestions?? I teach high school Biology and I don't have a lab or lab equipment materials. The students only have access to laptops during testing. Thank you!

BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Old 02-21-2018, 05:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Crosswords...I make my own online and I use information from the book to complete the hints. I also usually include a few "non-science" hints too. Like my cat's name or the picture on page 364...stuff like that

Games...I use this especially to cover vocabulary and for testing review

Videos...Youtube and Netflix documentaries about things that interest them. I use the Ameoba Sisters on Youtube. And when we did the mutations unit, we watched documentaries on Cri du Chat and other genetic mutations.

Edible cell project

Biology coloring pages

My question is how do you teach biology without any lab equipment? No microscopes or anything? It cannot be easy to teach something like that without equipment.
NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

tmbg

here are a few
Old 02-21-2018, 01:43 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

WebQuests are really cool and fun.....they range in difficulty so you could probably find something
I also like Ted Talks....maybe you could find something bio related for that...
tmbg is offline   Reply With Quote

BioEducator87

Thanks
Old 02-22-2018, 09:31 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

NerdTeach, thanks for the great suggestions! I currently use Youtube/Amoeba Sisters, but I have had some students complain about videos. This is my third year teaching and third school I've been at, and I've never had a lab or any lab equipment provided! It makes things kind of hard to make learning biology engaging. I've used games like Kahoot and Quizizz, and have them watch videos, but I need some new instructional methods. i also have done some small lab activities using items I can get from the dollar store, but I don't do these often. They generally do not pay attention beyond 10 minutes of instruction, if that.

tmbg, thank you! I actually used Webquest today, although I was not able to get the laptops I requested (person responsible was not here) and I only have 1 classroom computer. So I had the students us their cell phones. Some students were engaged, others not so. I just have a lot of unmotivated students. But I am expected to push them to grow and pass the state test at the end of the year.
BioEducator87 is offline   Reply With Quote

joetendo

Old 05-15-2018, 01:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

More of a tactic thing, but I have a wireless mouse/laser pointer and a keyboard for whenever I am giving notes or presentations or activities on the board. That way I can walk around, and no one generally misbehaves when you are standing next to them. It works better for when you do have to lecture. I often stand in the back of the classroom so I can watch them/the board for the times when I do have to lecture.

joetendo is offline   Reply With Quote