Help

BusyBoard

Lacking enthusiasm, low morale, poor quality

>

Linda/OH

Lacking enthusiasm, low morale, poor quality
Old 02-21-2018, 02:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I am struggling this year with a supposedly high group of students. My homeroom also includes a gifted cluster. These kids sit like lumps on a log (in all of their classes) . I teach reading/ l. Arts. They have different teachers for math, sci and SS. Their written work is careless. There is no effort to do well. It's an" I don't care attitude." They whine and stew over assignments. And I am frustrated because I love a joyful atmosphere and usually get kids to take pride and love learning. Not this year... Any tips?

Linda/OH is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

sounds middle school
Old 02-21-2018, 04:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Oh the joys of herding that middle school vibe! It's that "I'm too cool to care" attitude. This is where I struggle with as well so that students don't rub off that negativity while trying to keep my joy. It's hard but I learned to accept them as they are. Awhile back, a former student of mine had said/suggested not to get mad if they don't share the same enthusiasm for a subject like I do. That was a definite insight for me. Someone with RBF or sullen attitude used to put me off. Now it's like, you're okay but let's get down to business. Motivating some of them is like pulling teeth. This could be any student. So, I had started to offer them more choices/ideas. What's worked for you? There's gotta be something that works.
Mikhail is offline   Reply With Quote

MissAgnes

Middle school/gifted
Old 02-21-2018, 10:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Gifted students often are unmotivated, give little effort, and are under-achievers. Middle-schoolers are often unmotivated, give little effort, and are underachievers. Put them together, and it's the perfect storm.
Honestly, I have 2 middle-school sons, and I see exactly what you are seeing.
You may need to be creative to get some positive responses from them.
MissAgnes is offline   Reply With Quote

MrsSusko

Find something in common
Old 02-26-2018, 04:18 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I often find that these kids feel like they can't relate to you. Try to find something in common (sports, movies, books, puns, etc.). Then try to spark a short conversation with them individually, even if it's a little tidbit while you pass back papers. I find they will engage more when they feel they share something with you that the other kids don't.
MrsSusko is offline   Reply With Quote