Help

BusyBoard

Teach Like a Champion

>

Haley23

Teach Like a Champion
Old 02-21-2018, 06:15 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Apparently this book (philosophy?) is what we're going to be "all about" moving forward. I've heard of it but don't really know anything specific. I'd just like to know what I'm getting into here.

Any likes, dislikes from those that are familiar? Anything I should know? I don't like surprises .

Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-21-2018, 06:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I read it this summer. Total game changer for me. There’s a lot in there and it would be overwhelming to try and implement all of it at once. I picked about 3-4 things to focus on this year and it’s been amazing. I’ll probably skim through it again and pick another 2-3 things for next year.

I will say, I put my kids on partners and it’s been amazing.

I love “eyes on me” and “everybody writes”.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

RetiredKat

Tlac
Old 02-21-2018, 07:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Google the title and add PDF. There are several helpful documents that have been added since my school used it for a book study. One is a "cliff notes" version of the techniques that I found handy.
RetiredKat is offline   Reply With Quote

sisterwoman

Old 02-21-2018, 11:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

It is basically strategies for engaging students and holding them accountable. I'm sure that you are already doing many of the things that are mentioned. As another poster suggested, choose a few to implement this year and focus on those.
sisterwoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-22-2018, 07:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Treat it like a cookbook. There are many “recipes” for efficient and effective effective teaching in it. Choose a few that seem interesting and relevant to you and focus on those.

We were “all about it” a couple years ago, and I found it useful to pick out 2 that I already did proficiently, 2 that I knew about and kind of did but could be better at, and 2 that were brand new and felt like “a ha” moments when I read them.

I loved no opt out and everybody writes.

Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 02-22-2018, 08:02 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

would you mind explaining "everybody writes" and "eyes on me" before I google it and look. Not sure if i'll find those things in just a google

I looked it up:
https://dese.mo.gov/sites/default/fi...cticesTLAC.pdf
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

GreyhoundGirl

Old 02-22-2018, 09:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

"Eyes on me" is just what it sounds like. I just say "Eyes on me" when I want the class to pay attention to me. When I have a few stragglers, I just say, "I'm still waiting for a few eyes" and I get it. It's super effective.

"Everybody writes" is basically a quick write. You give the kids a topic and a few minutes for them to write. The book uses it as a way for them to gather their thoughts before a discussion so everyone has something to contribute. That's great for middle school. It's especially good for kids who need a lot of think time. I use it as a way for kids to synthesize what they've learned after a discussion or video. I also use a quarter sheet of paper instead of a whole sheet so kids aren't so intimidated and more likely to write. Even my non-writers participate because the quarter sheet helps them and I'm only giving them 5 minutes or so.
GreyhoundGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

mom23kids

Old 02-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Quote:
Everybody writes" is basically a quick write. You give the kids a topic and a few minutes for them to write. The book uses it as a way for them to gather their thoughts before a discussion so everyone has something to contribute. T
I like that..thanks!
mom23kids is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

It's a great book with a lot of good ideas and one that I tend to skim through every few years to refresh my memory. But as with anything, not everything will work for everyone and hopefully you have the option to pick and choose.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

maile0408

Old 02-22-2018, 07:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

My public school (Title 1) is on year two of implemenenting TLAC (Teach Like a Champion). It is my first year at the school. Engagement has increased and behavior is down in our building. There is a lot to take in and a lot that can be implemented. Pick a few strategies to start with. In our case our admin decided what they wanted to focus on first and then what to implement next. Turn and talk is big, as well as no opt out. Feel free to message me if you have other questions. Also, if there are other schools in your area that have adopted this see if you can visit.

maile0408 is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 02-22-2018, 08:07 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Thanks! IDK if this is coming later, but we're currently not even reading the book. My P is just introducing little parts at a time for us to focus on. I might just go read the book .

We already talked a little about the "no opt out" and developed a school acronym for learning behaviors (like SLANT in the book, but we chose something different). As someone that teaches multiple grade levels, I definitely like the common language.

We also did the 5 elements of authority, which I was pretty fine with, but that did NOT go over well with our staff as a whole. People thought it seemed too rigid and forced. I mostly already do them (I have no problem admitting I'm not the "fun teacher" ) except I'm very guilty of saying "I'll wait." Apparently that's a big no-no.

My poor teammate literally cried after the training. We watched a video of a K teacher who was supposedly doing everything right and my teammate said she would hate for her 5 year old to be in that class.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Gromit

Old 02-22-2018, 09:11 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

Quote:
We watched a video of a K teacher who was supposedly doing everything right and my teammate said she would hate for her 5 year old to be in that class.
The videos are awful. They manage to sap all the joy and spontaneity out of teaching. The book is simply a compilation of "what good teachers do," created by observing effective teachers and distilling all their practices down to practical recipes.

Just like a master chef is not a master chef because he can follow a recipe but because he can transform the recipe, a "champion teacher" does more than follow the TLAC recipes. You still have to put your own personality, goals, and beliefs into it for it to be truly successful.
Gromit is online now   Reply With Quote

MaineSub

My two cents as a writer...
Old 02-23-2018, 04:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

My two cents as a writer... it's not uncommon for writers to "repackage" material--some would say it's the key to making money as a writer. Find something everybody likes and give it a new name and a new twist and you'll sell some books.

I'm not condemning the practice--it has value. For some, it will validate what they are already doing (as seen in some of the comments here). For others, it will pique interest and perhaps start a "movement" that appears to be new.

I can't judge the book/philosophy under discussion but would note that education is often "fad-driven" as these "new" philosophies emerge. An example I would offer is the "multi-grade classroom phenomena" that's all the rage. Some of us remember one-room schoolhouses (still used by the Amish).

I love what Gromit said:
Quote:
You still have to put your own personality, goals, and beliefs into it for it to be truly successful.
Sometimes it feels like the system wants to drive out what we used to call "academic freedom." I recently taught a math lesson and when I finished several students exclaimed: "How come nobody has taught us this way before?" They didn't get it because I'm a genius; they got it because I was willing to try something different.

As a society, we seem to constantly look for "the answer." There are many answers. I would suggest becoming familiar with whatever is being adopted, particularly the lingo. Just don't forget you're unique (like everyone else, as the t-shirt says) and so are your students.
MaineSub is offline   Reply With Quote