Help

Kindergarten

Treasure Box?

>

msgriff

Treasure Box?
Old 02-21-2018, 07:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use a treasure box in the classroom? How often do kids get a reward from the treasure box and how is it earned?

msgriff is offline   Reply With Quote

ICrazyTeach

Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are no set ways to earn a trip to my prize box. It's completely random/intermittent. Sometimes it will be a whole class trip if they have been especially fabulous or worked really hard on something. Usually it will be a reward for being a leader--doing the right thing when others around them are not. We use Class Dojo school-wide. Every now and then I will check points and send students with a certain number to the prize box.
I don't like kids thinking I owe them something. They need to do the right thing because it's the right thing--not to earn a prize.
ICrazyTeach is offline   Reply With Quote

Sbkangas5

Old 02-22-2018, 11:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I do, only because it's my dumping ground when I clean out my kid's room! I will stop using one when I can stop refilling it for free. Anyway, the only "discipline" program I use in my room is an incentive - kids can earn a color of the rainbow if they are doing something over and above or really noteworthy (or if I'm trying to hammer in a certain behavior the whole class needs to work on). When they complete the rainbow they get a trip to the treasure chest. At the beginning of the year they might go once every few weeks. Later on it might be once a month.

Quote:
I don't like kids thinking I owe them something. They need to do the right thing because it's the right thing--not to earn a prize.
Agreed. That's why I don't give them something every time do do something right or good. And I never give one if they point out something good they have done! I use praise lavishly, and their rainbow pieces sparingly.
Sbkangas5 is offline   Reply With Quote

SevernK

treasure box
Old 02-27-2018, 05:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

Hi!

I have a treasure box in my room that goes along with my behavioral clip chart and reward boards. My students move their clips up along the board as they complete different tasks, show acts of kindness and friendship, etc. If they get to the top of the board by dismissal, they put a stamp on their reward board. Five stamps in a row allows them to choose one prize from the treasure box.

Another motivational tool I use, that aligns with our social-emotional program, is a kindness jar. This decorated jar is at the students' level and when I spot acts of kindness, I ask the students to place a blue jewel into the jar. Though there is no real prize, in the end, this activity motivates students to treat each other with respect. To introduce the jar, I read the story "How Full is your Bucket." You can also show the online version through this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3u-jUvANN8

I hope this helps!

Emily
SevernK is offline   Reply With Quote