Help

BusyBoard

Help me decipher my midterm marks

>

bodes12

Help me decipher my midterm marks
Old 02-23-2018, 06:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm currently student teaching this semester in a kindergarten class. Thus far, I have taught the full day for 6 days only, so the midterm evaluation was a bit of a surprise.

My first observation was the week of Feb 5-9th and it was a short informal observation during a math lesson I had already taught the concept, so students were working in partners on a math game. It wasn't the best lesson. This had been my first week taking on math, and I didn't have my timing down and I let students play the game too long, so a lot of them were off task. I've definitely improved from that first lesson.

We scheduled my formal midterm evaluation for February 28th, and earlier this week my supervisor (She's the assistant principal at that school) stopped by and asked what time I would like my next observation, which was scheduled for the 22nd. I said reading would be great, anytime from 8:35-9:45 and she agreed. She was a no show.

She instead showed up at 1:35, which is after they come back from specials and have snack. Worst time to be observed! During my observation, our projector went out so I turned off the video, they were a little loud and I had to bring them in several times. Overall though, most of them listened and we did a short video to practice for a play. She commented that she wished I had done something else like just had them listen to the audio, or gather them around the computer instead of just turning off their snack video.

She stayed for probably 15 minutes then left with plans for me and my mentor to meet with her the next morning. Well, we got there and she told me that this was going to be my midterm formal IMPORTANT evaluation. I was a little thrown off, since she had only observed me twice, and neither time during a subject like reading or even during my direct instruction time. We had also planned that to be after a formal observation on the 28th, so she could actually see me teach some content, not just manage behavior.

My university and this school uses the Danielson framework that is slightly adapted to fit a student teacher. I am ranked 1-3. 1 means unsatisfactory, 2 is satisfactory, and 3 is proficient. Well, I got a 2 in classroom management and one or two other columns, such as attendance because I had one sick day.

I'm not sure how I should view these. I did ask and they said 1 would require that I be placed on an improvement plan, but 2 and 3 were okay. I see it as 2 being really really really close to that improvement plan and I'm wondering how bad it is to not get 3s on everything. In the meeting, they had a lot of negative things to say. Also, a 2 on the regular Danielson framework is pretty bad and requires an improvement plan.

I'm feeling really nervous and a bit sick to my stomach after getting this evaluation back. And as much as I agree with their criticisms, I'm also a bit annoyed and thrown off that I received my important midterm evaluation while having only been observed during snack time, a math game, and no direct instruction time (when it is arguably the easiest to manage classroom behavior). How bad does this look?

* Also one of my 2s was under attendance. I had one sick day for strep throat, in which I got a doctors note and should have technically been out for another day, but came back early instead with doctors permission. Previously, my supervisor and mentor said it was fine to miss days, just send my mentor a text the night before or morning of if it was an emergency.

Last edited by bodes12; 02-23-2018 at 06:26 PM..
bodes12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 02-23-2018, 07:44 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

In my experience some principals rarely give anyone many 3s (or our equivalent which is a 4). If this is your first formal evaluation and she didn't watch any actual lesson then I would say it doesn't seem bad. That being said I would have asked her to stick with the original agreed upon plan. However, if you think you might have a chance to get a full time position there I'd try not to rock the boat. Depending on your area it might be hard to get a job right out of school. Kindergarten is also very challenging to manage. They need so much redirection because they are still just learning how to be in a classroom. It's also kind of unfair that she observed you while they were eating snack. In my kindergarten room I don't even try to keep them quiet during snack. I see it as their break time. I often even play upbeat videos. Very occasionally I'll make kids finish up work or play the beginning of a science video or read aloud if I'm running short on time.

Did they give you an average? If not do your own average. For the regular evaluation they give you an average so a few 2s doesn't really mean anything horrible. Also, since they essentially dropped one of the numbers I think a 1 is basically a 1/2 combined whereas a 2 would equal 3 and 3 would equal 4.

As far as the sick day that shouldn't be counted against you. However, I'd think you should be writing full substitute plans for anything you're expected to teach. We always had to do that student teaching and it'll help prepare you for teaching. Substitute plans are horrible (spent 6 hours on mine when I was sick this Wednesday) and often it's easier to just go in sick.

Finally, I think you must have an amazing group if whole group direct instruction is the easiest for you to do management with. I find whole group to be the hardest for me. That's when they want to talk over me. Personally I love guided reading. Small groups are the most rewarding, fun, and easiest to manage for me. It's why almost my whole day is small groups.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

MollyDogsMom

Similar
Old 02-24-2018, 09:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have a student teacher right now that appears to be in the same system . As for the 1-3 scoring, student teachers are expected to earn 2's. It's how it's set up to be. If you are earning 2's, you are doing exactly what is expected . I think it makes it confusing because we often see it as grades...as in A through F. If you're like me, I have always been one who wanted only the A. Anything less was not ok in my over achiever mind . But....the scoring, like in Danielson, does not work that way at all. I'm the Danielson trainer in my school and have been teaching for many years....I'm not expected to earn the top score in Danielson either. It's supposed to be more for self reflection, where there is always areas for some to strive for ....but not LIVE in that top score all the time. I tell teachers to try and "live" in the expected score (for you, that's a 2), and use the level above to reach into occasionally. Unless a person is perfect 100% of the time, you are not supposed to be at the top level all the time. Again, it's how it's designed.

So, relax. You are doing great!
MollyDogsMom is offline   Reply With Quote