Help

The Job Search

How big of a mistake is this?!

>

Loveandmercy

How big of a mistake is this?!
Old 02-24-2018, 02:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Here’s a big mistake I just made - please share your thoughts if you feel compelled. I’m applying to both public schools as well as Catholic schools. I currently work at Catholic school. My principal and vice principal both wrote glowing letters of rec for me. Principal wrote 2 versions of basically the same letter of recommendation: one for public school teaching application one for Catholic school teaching application.

I just attended a huge public school job fair and handed out many resumes with letters attached.

Here’s my goof: I handed out the CATHOLIC SCHOOL version of the letter of recommendation. And as stated above, my principal wrote 2 different letters for me. One for Catholic education job and one for public.

The Catholic version is the same as the public school one except At the bottom of the Catholic school letter are two sentences that mention I’m Eucharistic minister, am a basic catechist and that I enjoy sharing my faith with students.

She had stated in a general way, in the first paragraph of that same Catholic letter, that “she’d be great in ANY teaching position” (general statement) but at bottom it says “she’d be great at a Catholic school teaching position.”

The Vice Principal’s letter of rec is totally secular and I attached those to all 14 resumes also.

I’m quite mad at myself. Are the 14 resumes I handed out at the public school district job fair gonna get trashed do ya think? Every resume had principal Catholic letter of rec and vice principals letter of rec stapled to it.

I will say (this makes me think it’s okay) I introduced myself to each administrator I gave the resume to, talked about my teaching, how I felt I could fit their school’s needs, and said I worked at Catholic school but was now very interested in their district.

Thanks all...

Last edited by Loveandmercy; 02-24-2018 at 02:27 PM..
Loveandmercy is offline   Reply With Quote

Mikhail

Don't worry
Old 02-24-2018, 05:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

There are some Catholic admin's in public schools that will understand 🙂. Maybe it's a blessing in disguise that this was made and you think it's an error.
Mikhail is online now   Reply With Quote

whatever

I too think it is survivable
Old 02-25-2018, 10:35 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

but if there are any schools you are particularly concerned about, I'd go ahead and contact them about resubmitting the corrected letter.

If you get a call, you could explain then. If you get an interview, take an extra correct copy just to make sure the old copy is in place at that time.

Good luck.
whatever is offline   Reply With Quote

Gogogo

No biggie
Old 02-25-2018, 07:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think they would expect a Catholic school principal to write that type of letter. You definitely shouldn't lose any sleep over it.
Gogogo is offline   Reply With Quote

NerdTeach

Old 02-26-2018, 04:22 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I wouldn't worry about it either, especially since you're currently teaching at a Catholic school. The public school principals might even just assume that they all got the correct letter and that your Catholic school principal prioritizes something that they won't.

NerdTeach is offline   Reply With Quote