Help

Second Grade

Probability Lessons

>

workout

Probability Lessons
Old 02-24-2018, 07:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Anyone have any fun probability lessons for 2nd grade?

workout is offline   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Probability
Old 02-25-2018, 07:34 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Yes!!!!

Go to mathwire.com and search for Release the Prisoners game. You can print a game sheet from them and add your own dice and markers.

They also have one called Heads and Tails. It's a snake. You flip a coin and either move towards the head or the tail. I love this game because it takes a long time to finish. Kids were highly engaged with both games.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 02-25-2018, 10:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I always kicked off the unit with this...ahead of time, I put items in a small empty kleenex box--four red teddy bear counters and one blue one (obviously any small item or manipulative works, as long as they are the same size and shape). To begin the lesson, I'd reach in and pull out an item, replace and repeat, replace and repeat. The students would guess that all I had in the box was a red teddy bear. I'd start letting each student have a turn to reach in and pull a teddy bear out, while I started tallying each time on the board. Oh, the surprise and the shouts when the blue one first came out! We'd continue until each student had a turn to pull one out, then discuss the results (tallied on the board) and the vocabulary.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

kristeacher

Probability and m&m's
Old 02-25-2018, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

When I taught fourth grade I did a probability of pulling out a certain color m & m. Students first were given a small bag (individual like at Halloween) and counted them out and sorted these by color. They found the percentage/decimal/ and fraction of each color. Then based on this they made predictions on what color had the highest and least probability of getting pulled from their sample. They recorded this and explained why on the sheet. We collected the data, and then the students put them back in their bag and pulled out the m and M. Were they correct? If not that is a great lesson.
They enjoyed this activity, and of course they could eat the m&m's when they finished.
kristeacher is offline   Reply With Quote

workout

Proability
Old 02-25-2018, 05:56 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Thanks so much!

workout is offline   Reply With Quote