Help

Fourth Grade

Project Base Learning

>

coconutgrl11

Project Base Learning
Old 02-26-2018, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Does anyone use project based learning in their classrooms? How do you implement it in your day? I am wanting to try it but not sure what it would look like.

coconutgrl11 is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Pbl
Old 02-26-2018, 01:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I am retired now but we did this the last three years I was teaching. Each year we tried to add more and improve.

The first year we did one project in the fall and one in the spring semester. At this point we just tried to include a combination of at least two subjects in the project.

The next year we pretty much did the same but tried to do two in the fall and two in the spring.

The third year we did the same but were asked to include at least three topics in the projects.

I found it difficult to grasp mentally and to plan for. I thought it was my age but I taught with a much younger team and they also had difficulty wrapping their minds around this concept.

The actual teaching was fun because the students were excited about learning. I know it was good for them and they learned but it is not neat and precise. I constantly worried that they were not getting all the standards like they needed to.

We taught our regular math and reading in the morning and held PBL in the afternoon instead of isolated writing, science and social study lessons.

We planned for two week sessions and usually ran over a couple of days to complete.

Since we taught in teams we combined our classes. I taught LA and Social while my partner taught math and science. We opened the doors to our rooms and both taught. Students were allowed to work in groups with people from the other homeroom class.

I really believe this idea is worth exploring.

http://www.bie.org/about/what_pbl

This is the best source we found on PBL. My advise is research, plan and then just dive in and give it a try. Keep a journal for what is working and what is not.

Good luck!
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote