Help

BusyBoard

Ideas for enrichment programming

>

Haley23

Ideas for enrichment programming
Old 02-27-2018, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm on my school's leadership team and am supposed to be coming up with "creative" ideas for a grant we're applying for. The grant would require that the school become a "community center" that offers more after school/summer/ enrichment programs besides core academics/tutoring, etc. We're a K-6 elementary in a low SES area. Does anyone have something really great at your school?

Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote

sbslab

Off and on...
Old 02-28-2018, 03:47 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

We have offered:
Chess club
Dance club
Karate
Art club
Drama - musical
Keyboarding (piano)

The school my nieces go to offers:
Fun with food
Book club
Running club
Knitting club
LEGO club
sbslab is offline   Reply With Quote

Garden Gal

Parent Room
Old 02-28-2018, 06:00 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

How about a place for parents to meet and get support or information about child development? Ideally, you could offer discussion sessions on various, topics, even offer a toddler and mom play time with ideas about how to support school readiness, a used school clothing bank...
Garden Gal is online now   Reply With Quote

WGReading

Old 02-28-2018, 06:14 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

We have an excellent community resource here that works with refugee families in our area. They provide tutoring, but also adult ESL classes, help high school students find volunteering and job opportunities etc.

One program they provide for their children is called Destination Imagination. I believe it is a national organization. It would definitely be a program that would fit in to what you are looking for.

A LEGO Stem Club? My son's school has teams that compete at local LEGO robotics competitions.

If it were me and I was thinking about something for summer, I'd get creative with units and go all out. Give the kids a choice of which they'd like to participate. Like maybe one "class" would focus on the seas/oceans - you could do some science experiments, geography, read books related to the theme, art projects, take a field trip to an aquarium, etc. Or Art Around the World with a different style of art done each week, and then supplemental learning about that country and culture, etc.

If you are looking to involve parents, providing a concurrent ESL class, parenting classes, etc at the same time would be great. Our community developed Ready for Kindergarten! (which started local but I believe is starting to expand around the country) - parents of 0-5 year olds attend for free and learn about the importance of language and reading for babies. They have a room for 0-1, 2-3, 4-5 year olds and teach the parents how to interact with their children to help them develop language and early literacy skills, then they give them games and books that they get to keep.
WGReading is online now   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 02-28-2018, 01:45 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Branch of the public library? Complete with story time!

TAOEP is online now   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

Thanks for the ideas!
Haley23 is online now   Reply With Quote