Help

BusyBoard

reading fluency activities

>

tia

reading fluency activities
Old 02-28-2018, 06:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Our families are coming in before school on Friday for our Reading Round-up. (reading theme for Reading Week is Western Days)

They will eat donuts, read writing out in the hall, and visit some classrooms (one for each grade) to do literacy activities.

My activity will focus on fluency. I have a few articles on Western topics like Annie Oakley and Buffalo Bill's Wild West Show. I'll be leaving directions for what families can do with these. Here is my list so far: (along with explanations on how/why these are good strategies)

*choral read
*parrot read
*"speed read" and "beat your WPM" and "beat your parent"
*read with expression

I will also add ask your family member a question about the text to see if they can answer.

Can you think of other (specifically focused on fluency) activities that they could do?
I don't want any writing activities. These should be short activities so families can hit a couple rooms (between the Book Fair and donuts)! Thanks!

ETA: sorry, i wasn't clear. looking for any other fluency activities to do with these reading passages i have. thanks!

Last edited by tia; 02-28-2018 at 07:50 PM..
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 02-28-2018, 06:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

What about Reader's Theater? You could have parts and simple props if possible. Parents might be willing to make or send in props. Kids love Reader's Theater. You might also consider having some easier scripts available too in case younger siblings or lower readers come in. You want everyone to feel successful and have fun. Also what about some sentences to read quickly in different voices. Like... read it like a cowboy, read it like a horse, read it like a sheriff, read it like Paul Bunyan, etc. Kids would have a lot of fun with that. Even when I worked with 5th graders they would get into reading things in a robot voice, teeny ant voice, etc.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Fluency
Old 02-28-2018, 06:57 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

Is parrot reading like echo reading? A parent reads a line, sentence or paragraph and then the child reads that same text after them.

I would also try to provide them with a list of poems for two voices. The parent reads the first part and the then the child reads the second. Since the parent reads first they set the pace and the child will naturally try and match the pace or they can be encouraged to do so. I love all of Mary Ann Hoberman's books that have poetry for two voices. They are called "You Read To Me, I'll Read To You".

I would have the child select a poem or picture book to practice reading over and over for about a week and then present to the other parent, a grandparent, younger sister or brother......They could also record the readings as a cold read and then after practicing with a parent for a week.

I would give them a list of words commonly used to practice. Perhaps they could make flash cards of these words so they become well known by the students.

http://world-english.org/english500.htm

Last edited by 1956BD; 03-01-2018 at 09:48 AM..
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

tia

Old 02-28-2018, 08:34 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

thank you for the ideas.

yes, parrot reading is the same as echo reading.
tia is offline   Reply With Quote

teacherwriter

Fcrr
Old 03-01-2018, 03:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

There are a couple of good fluency activities on FCRR.org. One has a passage broken into phrases with slashes between the words. The other has the passage set as a "poem," i.e. broken into phrases, set in short lines. The goal is to learn how to pause and stop so the reading sounds like natural speech.

teacherwriter is offline   Reply With Quote