Help

Third Grade

Building Resilience

>

Tiamat

Building Resilience
Old 03-01-2018, 03:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Has anyone got any ideas to help build some resilience in a group of Year 3 students? I'm not talking about big things, like bullying, but little everyday things. Somebody touching them when they are putting their bag away leads to sobbing meltdowns that last ten minutes; if they bump themselves they have to have an ice pack and a bandaid (I have clamped down hard on that - they were wearing grooves in the path from the classroom to the office). If something is missing, somebody "stole" it, even if it is in plain sight dropped on the floor. Going out for a sport session (required once a week) leads to a non-stop parade of bogus injuries. They have no concept of "accident" and no personal responsibility whatever.

I'm going nuts with this. I try to just keep going when these meltdowns happen, but it's five or six kids in the class having the same reactions, and it just seems constant. They are a very immature group.

Help!

Tiamat is offline   Reply With Quote

kahluablast

Old 03-01-2018, 05:45 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Do you have a counselor who could work with your class?

Do any of these kids have sensory issues or something similar? Or is it just that they have been reinforced in this behavior and haven't outgrown it?

I think I would add a few minutes every single day and do some role playing in these situations. Make up a list of problems or make task cards, choose one and trouble shoot reacting to them in a better manner.

I also would reward the class for days where these incidents did not occur. Small reward with 5 days of earning. Then build it up until you can remove the reward. If it really involves just a handful of kids, maybe you can do something just with them, but it sounds like the rest of the class is also involved, even if they aren't doing the reacting.
kahluablast is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 03-01-2018, 02:54 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I feel your pain. My last class had a group of girls who were like that. The school counselor did a six week course with these girls. There really wasn't a lot of improvement. During the last couple of weeks of school I lost it. One girl said, "She looked at me!" I took her out in the hall & told her to get over it. Looking at someone wasn't a crime. All these girls came from broken homes. One had two mommies. Their problems also included repeating a previous grade. They were acting like fifth graders. Sorry I don't have any advice. Keep hanging on.
jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

PrivateEyes

Somebody stole my....
Old 03-09-2018, 08:36 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

First couple of times, I say: Somebody stole your pencil? Who?

"I don't know."

So, how do you know somebody stole it? How do you know you didn't just lose it?

"I don't know."

I explain that they shouldn't make accusations against their fellow classmates without proof, because it isn't nice to hurt their feelings.

I give them an alternative: I can't find my....

I suggest they check in the classroom lost and found, (or under their feet) and then leave them to it. I can't remember the last time I heard "Somebody stole my...." It somehow seems to work.

(Sometimes I hear "Mia has my ______. How do you know? Lucy told me." Usually, it's true.)
PrivateEyes is offline   Reply With Quote