BusyBoard

Need some ideas on LRE

>

LREneedideas

LREneedideas

Need some ideas on LRE
Old 03-01-2018, 07:25 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I'm currently a teacher but I'm still in school for my masters in special education. I have to write a research paper on least restrictive environment. Easy enough! But I also have to come up with a "policy proposal" for reform. Basically, how I could make the policy of "least restrictive environment" better. I'm really struggling with this. Any ideas are welcome.

ConnieWI

Least Restrictive Environment
Old 03-01-2018, 02:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

A least restrictive environment needs to take into account the other students in a classroom, and the experience/success the classroom teacher has in dealing with the needs of the child being added to that classroom.

If the classroom is already loaded with other needy students who may or may not have IEPs, 504s, RtI needs, etc., will the new student fit with the present population in that classroom? If the new child is going to interfere with the learning of other students, it may be least restrictive for the new child but become overly restrictive for the other students. If the new child will in any way make learning for the other students difficult, the new child needs to be placed somewhere else.

Does the regular classroom teacher have experience/success in working with the needs of the child who will be added to that classroom? How much assistance will the new student get from the special ed staff and their aides?

Just my thoughts...
ConnieWI is offline   Reply With Quote
msd2

msd2

Old 03-01-2018, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

What ideas do you have so far? What does LRE mean to you? How would your understanding play out? Does that happen now? If not, how can you tweak the policy? Create a "student" and decide what LRE would be best and compare that to what happens in the schools you know. Or make a list of pros/cons of different deficits and if you could choose what would work, where would this student be educated?

Just some thoughts to help you come up with your own ideas.