Help

BusyBoard

Homebound Tutoring

>

Luvetc3

Homebound Tutoring
Old 03-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

For those of you who have had a student on home bound tutoring, how is this handled? In the past few years, our grade level has had a handful of students needing this. We have found that students progress through the classwork much more quickly since it is a one on one situation. This has led to the need to create work and assignments above and beyond what is being done in class in order to have work for the hours when the tutor is present. This is a huge undertaking and basically involves creating an accelerated curriculum. (Naturally, this is unpaid work.) I'm just wondering how other districts handle this situation.

Luvetc3 is offline   Reply With Quote

KatieViolet

Old 03-02-2018, 01:49 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

Are the tutors required to do a certain number of hours that is active tutoring time?

I don't see why you need to create extra work--the students should do the same amount of work as their peers, who cares if it's done in less time? If anything, the tutor should be responsible for creating lessons or filling in the gaps. You provide the work you are doing in class, and if it goes more quickly, as it naturally would, oh well.

I know that doesn't really help or answer your question, but just my opinion from our experience!
KatieViolet is offline   Reply With Quote

TAOEP

Old 03-02-2018, 04:32 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I have done quite a lot of homebound tutoring of high school students. In my state, students receive 1-2 hours of tutoring (usually one hour) for each school day they are homebound. With high school students, I generally tutored 2 or 3 days a week, rather than daily.

We never ran out of work to do. The challenge was to get enough work done that the student wouldn't be overwhelmingly behind when he/she returned to school.
TAOEP is offline   Reply With Quote

Haley23

Old 03-02-2018, 04:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I also wonder why the tutoring hours aren't just lessened, especially if the child is already getting through the entire curriculum. There is no obligation in homebound instruction to teach the child more than peers at school are learning.

I did homebound for one student earlier this year. He got one hour per day of tutoring. I also got paid for 30 minutes of planning for every 2 hours of tutoring. I knew the student well because I was his sped teacher last year, so it was easy for me to supplement with my own materials/plans. The classroom teacher just basically gave me extra copies of any worksheets/papers he was handing out in class that week. He wasn't responsible for giving me plans.

It was amazing how much I had to plan to fill up an entire hour with just one student, especially since this kid was compliant and kept up with me the whole time. I could easily see an on grade level student getting through the entire grade level curriculum and only needing a few hours of tutoring per week with this set up, assuming the tutor instructed at a decent pace.
Haley23 is offline   Reply With Quote