Help

Retired Teachers

Do you miss teaching?

>

TheTrunch

Do you miss teaching?
Old 03-03-2018, 10:26 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

I officially turned in my resignation/retirement for June and I feel wistful. It went so fast. I'm too burned out to go on, but it sure was a good run.

TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

amiga13

Old 03-03-2018, 10:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I loved teaching, really loved it, so I was shocked to find I donít miss it one bit. My friends who are still working were super-surprised that I donít miss it. But when they see the new me, theyíre envious. I think fondly of my teaching years, but I donít miss it. I love my new life.
amiga13 is online now   Reply With Quote

lisa53

Old 03-03-2018, 10:58 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love teaching. Now that I donít have to do the forced 185 day march through the curriculum every year, I enjoy it more! I still teach, but in smaller, more manageable doses:

-I am a tour guide at a local museum.
-I tutor.
-I sub occasionally.
-I teach field ecology in the summertime.
-I show the neighborhood kids interesting things (like eclipses, and how a toilet works, and the little bugs that live on the rocks in the brook).
-I am considering offering a course through our ďLifelong LearnersĒ program.

I can do as much or as little as I wish of these things. Except for subbing, everything starts after 9 am.

There are other options (Sunday School, Scouts, volunteering in the local elementary school, etc) but most of them require more of a commitment than I want to make right now. I have become an educational dilettante.

If you miss teaching, indulge yourself. Just pay attention to the line between ďfunĒ and ďa choreĒ. Start small, find your joy, and have fun!
lisa53 is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-03-2018, 11:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I do miss teaching. But I donít miss all the stuff that made me stressed and burned out. Iíve thought about teaching in some other way, but I really donít want to be tied down to a schedule. One thing I really love about being retired is not having a schedule. I just go with the flow and itís fabulous. Iím a homebody and am perfectly happy with it. I have a grandson coming so I will devote my teaching efforts to him as he grows up. Iím looking forward to doing all the fun stuff with him and any future siblings!
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

jjwires

Old 03-03-2018, 11:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

Since I taught 43 years, I knew I'd be ready. My first year out I did volunteer in another district at a different grade level. I really missed the children, but one morning in kindergarten a week was plenty. The teacher was one of my former third graders. I continue to help her, but only for kindergarten testing. It's fun. Next year she's going to be an intervention teacher.

To be honest the first couple of years I got lots of rest. I didn't realize how tired my body/ mind were.

My advice to you is to do what's best for you. I've found out that retirement is like teaching; everyday is different & new.

Good luck

jjwires is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

I Love Teaching
Old 03-03-2018, 11:20 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

I do miss it, but not as much as I thought I would.

I do have a volunteer job where I get to teach a little each week just during the school year. That helps satisfy my need to work with elementary aged children and do some educating.

I am glad you enjoyed your career. I am pretty sure you will find retirement fun and exciting too. Good luck on your transition.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

Keltikmom

Miss teaching
Old 03-03-2018, 11:57 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

Surprisingly to me, I do not. My burn out level had maxed out and I didn't see it getting better in the near future. I kind of miss the children and a few teachers, so I bring my grandson occasionally for a visit. This solidifies why I retired.

Currently I am very happy finding other things to do.
Keltikmom is offline   Reply With Quote

annie_g

Old 03-03-2018, 12:01 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

Whenever I get a little sad about not teaching, I go to the Vent board and read a few posts. Then I am so thankful I do not have to put up with that b.s. anymore.
annie_g is offline   Reply With Quote

1956BD

Smart Annie_g
Old 03-03-2018, 12:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I would never go back. I am too old to deal with the stress. I have friends that still teach and what they have to endure is crazy. But I think missing the art of teaching and missing the job are two different things.
1956BD is online now   Reply With Quote

ZipLine

Old 03-03-2018, 12:38 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Congratulations on upcoming retirement!

When I look back at my career in education there are so many great memories. I do miss parts of teaching- such as the kids, former colleagues, designing lessons, my cool classroom, and exciting kids about learning. But... every Sunday I am so thankful that I donít have to worry about being ready for Monday morning and the week. Every day is mine. No deadlines. No testing. No lesson plans. No meetings. Itís absolutely wonderful!

ZipLine is online now   Reply With Quote

EdfromBama

re: miss teaching?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:13 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #11

Good evening to all-
I miss teaching. Exactly the same way I missed a bad tooth that was pulled. I knew something was different and something was gone that used to be there.
But, it didn't hurt any more, and I felt a lot better.

That's the way I miss teaching.

I liked being a teacher, and I liked working with kids, but I did not like the documentation that came to be required, and I did not like the end of year testing pressure on kids and on me. And I did not like teaching school by computer as was dictating in my last couple of years.

But, no, I don't miss teaching- I have another life now.
good evening to all- Ed
EdfromBama is offline   Reply With Quote

SusaninNJ

Miss it
Old 03-03-2018, 01:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #12

No. Iíve been retired for 10 years. I did miss it at first, so I taught at a local university for 5 semesters and did consulting for 4 years. I think I had to ease into it. I loved my years in the classroom and can now say that I donít miss it. I volunteer at a Catholic school but donít sub. I have time for many things that iíd put off in the past. Life is good.
SusaninNJ is offline   Reply With Quote

GlacierRose

Old 03-03-2018, 02:59 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #13

I like your answer, Ed!

I don't miss teaching at all. I'm having so much fun reinventing myself and developing new interests and talents.
GlacierRose is offline   Reply With Quote

mhugs

missing
Old 03-03-2018, 03:37 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #14

I miss the good moments with 1st graders.
I miss sharing my love of reading.
I do not miss the craziness of the ever changing expectations of the school head master.

When the surgeon wouldn't clear me to return to teaching I was so angry. Looking back he knew how stressed, and worn out I had become over the four years he had been treating me.
mhugs is online now   Reply With Quote

TheTrunch

You all are great
Old 03-03-2018, 04:33 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #15

I love the honesty.
TheTrunch is offline   Reply With Quote

cbgreente2001

Miss it
Old 03-03-2018, 04:53 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #16

No, I don't. The year after I retired I tutored one middle school student;I had taught lower elementary grades. The next year I volunteered to help students with reading skills at a church sponsored tutoring/homework help center. I volunteer at 2 other organizations doing various tasks. I love the flexibility of being "just" a volunteer. I don't miss having a classroom or the stress that had become so much of the job.
cbgreente2001 is offline   Reply With Quote

PoohBear

Old 03-03-2018, 05:41 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #17

Nope! I thought I would but I love my life the way it is right now!
PoohBear is online now   Reply With Quote

Catdog12

Old 03-03-2018, 06:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #18

Not one bit! Ed, above, said it best for me!

I have grandkids that don't mind me teaching them games, cooking, songs, etc. so I still have that! THAT makes me smile!
Catdog12 is offline   Reply With Quote

juliet4

Miss teaching?
Old 03-03-2018, 07:31 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #19

Yes and no. I did not like what was happening to the teaching world but I do miss my co-workers and relationships forged with my students and families. I have grown to love retirement over the last four years but that structure was good for me too...
juliet4 is offline   Reply With Quote

BioAdoptMom3

Old 03-03-2018, 09:00 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #20

I loved my career, especially back when we had some freedom to make our own decisions in our own classrooms, to use teachable moments, follow the assigned curriculum in our own creative ways. I always loved the students, families and my co-workers, I enjoyed being the union rep for our school the last 3 years of my career and loved directing the volunteer after school chorus. That said, I am so done and I have absolutely NO desire to go back!

Nancy
BioAdoptMom3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sam5

Old 03-03-2018, 09:19 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #21

I miss teaching, but I don't miss being a teacher. I love working with kids, but I don't miss the stress, responsibility, drama and politics of being a teacher.

That being said- my husband and I spent the winter in Arizona and volunteered at a children's home. I tutored kids four days a week after school. It was just enough to get my "teaching fix." Teaching without being a teacher!
Sam5 is online now   Reply With Quote

Ruby tunes

Miss teaching?
Old 03-03-2018, 09:40 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #22

I loved being a teacher for 35 years and an aide for two years before that. So I thought I would miss teaching but to my surprise, I don't. I love, love, LOVE making my own schedule and doing whatever I want to do when I want to do it. Retirement rocks!!!

That said, last May I was offered a job teaching ESL to adult learners two evenings per week, and on a whim, I agreed to do it. When it was time to start in September, I had many regrets about being tied down and almost wanted to back out. Glad I didn't, as I've greatly enjoyed teaching my adult students. It is pure teaching without all the peripheral nonsense, and only for a limited amount of time. The program funding ends in June!
Ruby tunes is offline   Reply With Quote

connieg

Old 03-04-2018, 05:08 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #23

I did feel a bit of sadness one day after retirement, but I took a ten-minute nap, and it was all better.

Seriously, I have not missed it one bit, although I have many fond memories and loved my job most of the time. I think you have to be a teacher to understand these feelings.
connieg is offline   Reply With Quote

travelingfar

Teaching
Old 03-04-2018, 07:04 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #24

I do not miss teaching. It was a wonderful career for many years, but I was done and ready to retire two years ago. I am a lot happier now.
travelingfar is offline   Reply With Quote

readbks2

Old 03-04-2018, 07:48 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #25

NO! I guess 41 years can do that! I wasn't in the classroom for the last decade or so, and I loved my job. I left feeling good, but I love retirement more! Now when I hear stories from teacher friends still there, I am sure I don't miss it!
readbks2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lynnteach2

Old 03-04-2018, 08:16 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #26

Do I miss teaching? I miss the kids and colleagues. I miss the little a-hahs when kids got it. I do not miss the meetings, lesson plans, correcting, and testing. I volunteer in a 3rd grade class two days a week. That fulfills my kid time. The teacher was telling me they begin state testing in 2 weeks. I don't miss that!
Lynnteach2 is offline   Reply With Quote

teachwonder

Almost There Too
Old 03-04-2018, 09:44 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #27

Of course I have no way of knowing how I feel once I've actually retired (63 more days), but I don't like the way the curriculum has evolved. I feel that Common Core math is confusing more than illuminating for my third grade students. The language arts has it's emphasis on annotating, which is a good thought, but I miss digging into stories with my students looking for all the treasure that is in them. In our school the quality of the families and students has also changed. Families have less interest in education and are more concerned about what they are entitled to. I miss the old days where I feel we were really able to educate and not prepare them strictly for testing!!
teachwonder is offline   Reply With Quote

2grade

Miss teaching?
Old 03-04-2018, 10:05 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #28

Do I miss teaching? Not really, anymore. After more than 3 years, I've moved on. It's nice not being responsible for improving all those young lives. However, the "teacher part" of me still notices what children are doing, both good and bad.
2grade is offline   Reply With Quote

mistydawn

Ditto
Old 03-07-2018, 11:39 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #29

I do the same thing as annie.
mistydawn is offline   Reply With Quote

kidsrterrific

Retirement
Old 03-07-2018, 12:12 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #30

I feel EXACTLY the same way as ZipLine!
kidsrterrific is offline   Reply With Quote

Floridawoman

teaching
Old 03-08-2018, 09:49 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #31

Loved it for 40 years. Last three not so much. Don't miss at all.
Floridawoman is offline   Reply With Quote

Nearly

Enjoy the home stretch!
Old 03-09-2018, 08:25 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #32

How long did you teach? "Floridawoman" taught for 40 years, and I am on the fence after just 30. I am not burned out, but teaching has surely been getting more stressful.
Nearly is offline   Reply With Quote

Hotbox88

Old 03-11-2018, 05:23 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #33

Congratulations! Iím thinking next year will probably be my last.
Hotbox88 is online now   Reply With Quote

LuBelle

Teaching was my LIFE!
Old 03-11-2018, 07:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #34

When I retired I shared your worries. I really loved teaching and it had been my all encompassing life for 40 years. My DH retired three years before me and was putting pressure on me, plus it wasn't as much fun anymore. So I took the plunge. I was SHOCKED that I did NOT miss it. My first year or two I was on an unbelievable high! I would look at the clock and say, "Last year I would have been teaching math at this time." Or "Last year I would have been needing to use the restroom about this time, but I would have to wait 45 more minutes until lunch." I felt like I had been released from the sanitarium! I felt FREE and HAPPY....... and I could do whatever I wanted to do whenever I wanted to do it. After 3 years of retirement I started missing the kids and the fellowship of my friends, the teachers I'd worked with. So I decided to sub. I made a ton of money and only accepted jobs for my friends or fun sub jobs like ESL, RTI or kindergarten. It was super fun because I could pick and I never subbed more than 1 or 2 days a week. Then the principal called and begged me to take a 2 week job with an unruly 1st grade class. (I had avoided subbing for that class.) The teacher had a great family tragedy and she was such a wonderful person. I took the job. OMG! After one day I didn't know if I could do it. The class was out of control! There were kids that seemed to be seriously disturbed. No one listened. It was my worst nightmare in real time! I have no idea how I got through those two weeks. It one of the worst experiences of my life. I couldn't sleep. My heart was pounding. I couldn't stop thinking about these students and what I could do to help them or corral them. I did it. BUT I made a vow..... never go back. I haven't subbed since or missed teaching at all. Trunch, I have followed your posts and have always admired your spirit, your common sense, and your knowledge of good teaching strategies. I've had tremendous respect for you. Know you had a rich, wonderful career as a teacher. But let me say "CONGRATULATIONS!!!" WELCOME to our world. You are going to LOVE it! I am so happy for you!
LuBelle is offline   Reply With Quote

stolaf

Forced Out Heartbroken
Old 03-19-2018, 03:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #35

I'm so glad to read all of the wonderful stories about teachers who have retired and found other meaningful life objectives.
However there is always another side to a story. I would like to share mine.
In 2011-2012 my school district decided that one way they could reduce the budget was to go after older, more experienced, and teachers with advanced degrees. Many of also had additional certifications which allowed us to move from subject or grade.
The building principals were given power to recommend which teachers should be either forced to resign or into early retirement. In our state, the teachers' unions, yes I said 'Unions' did little or nothing to protect us.
Six of the best teachers in my school ended up being forced out or forced into retirement. When we left-we took 200 years of teaching experience. Our only mistake was to ask why policies and teaching strategies were changed with out warning.
I was teaching Pre-k at the time and was at the top of my game. I was targeted because I wouldn't certify 5th graders as having dyslexia three days before the state test.
Being forced into retirement, broke my heart. I substitute, but it's not the same. I would be willing to go back and work as a paraprofessional, but then the state would take my retirement away. I substitute, but it's not the same.
I miss the camaraderie with my friends, the bright sparks in my students' eyes when we've discovered something new and exciting. I also resent being treated as less than a teacher by teachers who weren't born when I started teaching and students whose grandparents could have some of my first students.
I'm depressed and feel like a failure. Please do not suggest that I need to see a psychiatrist of go the meds route. That's been tried.
Just remember that while there are many teachers out there enjoying their retirement and nearly limitless opportunities-For some of us retirement is like hearing your own death knell
stolaf is offline   Reply With Quote

LisaLin3

I love retirement!
Old 03-21-2018, 04:04 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #36

I was very surprised how much I don't miss teaching. I subbed for a pregnant teacher this year, this helped me know that I had done the right thing for me. I love having no schedule.
LisaLin3 is offline   Reply With Quote

NJ Teacher

Retiring in June...
Old 03-21-2018, 07:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #37

I will be retiring in June after 42 years in education. I had originally thought I would work another 2. The stress and hours the job takes has just become too much. The kids and parents are not the same, and my dearest friends have retired. I put my letter in in October, and felt great relief. No more doc logs, unannounced observations, lesson plans, grading, conferences, coaching or professional development. I have a trip planned for the fall and an Elton John concert on a ďschool nightĒ. I can exercise at the gym when I want, and volunteer at an animal shelter. I loved this job and it defined me for many years, but the last 5 have been rough. It is definitely time to move on.
NJ Teacher is offline   Reply With Quote

tennteacher51

Retired but working
Old 03-26-2018, 08:41 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #38

I retired last year after 38 years of teaching. My decision was not due to teaching burn out but because I had reached the terminal end of my patience with the constantly increasing "junk" that prevented me from "teaching". However, after a long traveling vacation, I was asked by one of the most creative pre-service teachers I ever had the privilege to supervise, to help develop curriculum for her charter school. I now work as reading specialist and family liaison. This works because we agreed that I could post my schedule each month and work with teachers to collaborate on how best to serve the students.

I now conduct family literacy workshops in which parents and students work on literacy skills together, ins addition I help parents reduce the "how do I support learning in my home" anxiety. among a few other projects. This works for me because I can focus nearly 100% on the children and support them as individuals and not a labeled categories. I set my own schedule which considers what I want to do and when as well as when I am needed. I am also proving what teachers have understood that a student's reading and literacy will improve exponentially if a significant adult is intimately involved in the process.

This is the work I dreamed of doing, however, I am working with a new teacher to take my place.
tennteacher51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tori58

Forcing teachers into retirement.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:16 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #39

Quote:
Six of the best teachers in my school ended up being forced out or forced into retirement. When we left-we took 200 years of teaching experience.
This happened in the district where I worked too, although it was over a period of several years, not all in one year. Of the teachers who retired in the last decade that I was there, I'd say there were only one or two who didn't feel they were forced out. I don't know if I would say that I was forced out precisely but things started happening that made it abundantly clear that I was no longer valued as a teacher. I retired three years ahead of schedule.

Quote:
Being forced into retirement, broke my heart. I substitute, but it's not the same. I would be willing to go back and work as a paraprofessional, but then the state would take my retirement away.
You're right; substitute teaching is not the same. I'm sorry your state is so restrictive. Where I live, once I have completed a mandatory "break in service" I can teach up to 65% time and still collect my retirement. In fact, due to an unclosed "loophole" in the legislation, I could actually work 100% time if I split it between two districts. Have you looked into loopholes in your state? For instance, does it make a difference if you are working for a school that doesn't participate in the state teacher retirement system?

Quote:
I also resent being treated as less than a teacher by teachers who weren't born when I started teaching and students whose grandparents could have some of my first students.
Tell me about it! I am really quite shocked at the degree of age discrimination that exists in the field of education. Kids are kids and don't think they'll ever get old but I would have thought that my fellow educators would have more respect for age and experience.
Tori58 is offline   Reply With Quote