Help

First Grade

SPRING Parent/Teacher Conferences...

>

PUKO

SPRING Parent/Teacher Conferences...
Old 03-04-2018, 04:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

Hi, in 11 years of teaching at the same school we have never had Spring P/T conferences, until this year, in two weeks, HELP!? what is the difference between these and Fall? What do you discuss? There is no report card at this time, it is the middle of the quarter, I do have MAP test results, but what else? Any helps, forms, etc. would be greatly appreciated, TIA!!!

PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote

Lillybabe

Old 03-04-2018, 05:18 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

The first school I worked at had conferences every fall and spring all three years I worked there. We did essentially the same things at both. You'd share any progress monitoring data (for struggling students), any testing results, current grades, how they were doing with classroom behavior, etc. I really liked the spring conferences because often in the fall I didn't feel like I had much to say. I was still getting to know their child and we had them fairly early on in the year. By the spring I am able to show progress and I've had time to really connect with their child. I can share plans for the remainder of the year and talk about things that might benefit them the following year. This was also the time we'd talk about retention if that was something being considered.
Lillybabe is offline   Reply With Quote

broomrider

we did fall and spring
Old 03-04-2018, 09:22 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

conferences for years before going to fall only.

I liked the spring conferences because I could show the parent work from the beginning of the year and work from toward the end. Most first graders made huge strides and the parents were impressed with them (and me, a bit). Portfolios of student work is wonderful to have, from first spelling test or writing sample to math worksheets to science projects.

I could also show some anonymous work from other students as a comparison for parents whose children were having difficulties. It allowed us to discuss what helps might be available or activities to do over the summer to continue growth.
broomrider is offline   Reply With Quote

lovetodig

Great for growth
Old 03-09-2018, 04:50 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I love spring conferences because you get to discuss growth with parents. I share growth from the assessments we have done and journal samples from the fall and spring. I also use it to talk about ways to encourage reading over the summer.
lovetodig is offline   Reply With Quote

PUKO

Thank you!!
Old 03-11-2018, 12:05 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

THanks for all your good advice, I feel much better going into Spring conferences:
I am going to:
1) go over my Winter MAP test results showing growth from FALL
2) show each student's portfolio (saved writing, crafts since beginning of the year)
3) have the students evaluate themselves with this cute form I found for free on TPT: https://www.teacherspayteachers.com/...-Forms-2182928

PUKO is offline   Reply With Quote