Help

Special Education

Unique Learning System

>

QW

Unique Learning System
Old 03-04-2018, 07:08 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #1

My school is considering purchasing ULS for our significant support classrooms. It seems like a lot to manage. My question is, how much do you supplement this curriculum (for math/reading) or is it all you use? I'm using a trial period and finding it difficult to know how to space the lessons, etc. I have some students who are working at a higher level in math and a few who are higher readers. Do you use your district math curriculum and reading at the same time or strictly ULS? Sorry for so many questions, just want to make sure I know what I'm getting into before I put my vote in for purchasing. Thanks!

QW is offline   Reply With Quote

catandturtle

Old 03-05-2018, 04:43 AM

Clip to ScrapBook #2

I donít supplement much. A couple of times a week I might print some worksheets from online for math or reading practice. I also have some really high students but I never use district curriculum. District curriculum is just miles above unique. I forget how hard the real curriculum is until I look at it.

I really like unique. It is predictable. The kids know each month has a theme, vocabulary, words for our word wall, math, chapter book, etc.

At first I thought it was a lot to manage, but now I donít try to do everything from it and Iíve found how to make it work for me.
catandturtle is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

Uls
Old 03-05-2018, 03:28 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #3

I love ULS for students with moderate to severe disabilities. They need repetition. I do use supplemental materials to reinforce the subject matter so I know they aren't just memorizing the material that is presented. The great thing about ULS are that there are 3 different levels. Your higher students will have different materials vs. your lower students. I've had a couple of students learn to read using ULS. I present much of the material on the Smartboard and use the worksheets to get data on each student. I love that there are monthly pre and post tests. Profiles can be redone as children make progress. I love that Science and Social Studies are knit into the curriculum quite nicely.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

Thank you!
Old 03-05-2018, 04:21 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #4

I think I kind of love it, too :-) For so long we have had nothing, or tried to modify regular curriculum, which as you know, is so time consuming when we are already pressed for time! I am using the sample month right now and the kids really do seem to enjoy it! Thank you for sharing your take with me. Can I ask how much of the print materials you use? Or do you mostly just use the Smartboard? I was a little confused with the math pages and didn't know if it was better to do whole group or small or how much to copy? I LOVE the newspaper and so do the kids. Do you use the symbol sticks (sp)?

pdxteacher

Old 03-05-2018, 07:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #5

I love it, and it took me a while to get there. I have what should be a moderate/severe self-contained class, but because my district has cut out the rooms for low kids who just need significant academic support, I have them, too. I do end up supplementing for them, but I don't think you *have* to. (Does that make any sense at all?) I guess what I mean is, you can use it completely as is, or supplement based on your specific students.

I will say that it is a lot to take on all at once. My district half-assed the training (), and it was dumped on us TWO days before the start of the school year. That was insane and I was grumpy about it. But after four years I'm really liking it and use it every day. I have a classroom set of iPads (but no smartboard), so to cut down on printing costs I save individual worksheets and stories as separate files, then email them as PDFs to students' iPads. With an app like Notability students can write their answers or highlight vocab words, and then save them to their own portfolio.

I use symbol stix all the time! It's not quite as easy to manipulate as Boardmaker, but I think the graphics are more age-appropriate for older students. And I love being able to make social stories and vocabulary worksheets, etc with the images they see in their work.

pdxteacher is offline   Reply With Quote

QW

Thank you!
Old 03-06-2018, 04:09 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #6

That was really helpful, pdxteacher! I had no idea we could use the worksheets on the iPads. I do have Notability, it's what we take our data on. Maybe we can set something up like you have. I'm glad to hear that symbol stix is worth it, also. I think we could write our own newspaper as well as using all of the visuals for what you mentioned and labels for the classroom, etc. I am looking forward to using it this fall. I just hope they send the first unit ahead of time so I'm not struggling to put it all together when school starts! Thanks to you and everyone who have shared with me. I really appreciate it!

melt

Unique Monthly Plans
Old 03-07-2018, 05:58 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #7

I use ULS and N2Y on a regular basis, but skip around the content areas.
Does anyone follow the monthly planning calendar and, if so, how do you integrate all of it into your daily schedule?

I am attempting to create and implement a more consistent, academic schedule incorporating the monthly theme and including MA and SC components.

I request and welcome your advice, help, and input.
melt is offline   Reply With Quote

spedder1

What I print/don't print
Old 03-08-2018, 01:51 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #8

The school district used to print everything, then we teachers would meet at scheduled times to laminate everything. It was horrible and we didn't use all of the materials. I am in a long term sub job in my old classroom. I have only been running off what I need. I go to the bottom of the monthly lessons page and click on the "lesson plans and materials" (or something like that) page, then only print what I need. I can also print the different levels for students, which helps them to move forward.

I use Joey's locker for the "weather" report. I like the weather part, but not the calendar. I wish there would be a monthly calendar so the students can visualize it better. If this was my classroom I would do a separate calendar activity on the Smartboard.

I also use Symbol Stix. One of my students has a PODD communication book, but it doesn't have everything she needs. Last week, using yes/no questions, she told us she wanted a spring/Easter page. I got on Symbol Stix and got her the page within a few minutes.

I am enjoying exploring everything. When I was full time and had started the curricululm it didn't have everything it has now.

Enjoy.
Kathy
spedder1 is offline   Reply With Quote
closetosprin

closetosprin

Old 03-10-2018, 01:42 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #9

I use it daily. I have a self-contained low functioning room. It took a bit to learn how to navigate it. I use most of the monthly lessons, pre and post tests, benchmarks, N2Y (they also have a feature where your class can make their own newspaper, pretty cool), Joey's looker.. I like the extension activities and the library. There are some really good core materials and I love symbol stixs. I use one of the elementary strands, and the monthly themes align pretty closely with kindergarten curriculums. I do supplement with K curriculum and other activities and routines. I guess it depends on how fast your students work, but this is not a curriculum that will fill 6 hours a day. I use it, or components of it, for maybe 1-2 hours a day tops.

QW

Old 03-11-2018, 06:26 PM

Clip to ScrapBook #10

Thank you! That's kind of what I was wondering so you answered my question. I will definitely plan other lessons to go along with it. I think it is great that it sets the foundation with the themes and such. My trial month didn't include the benchmarks and monthly tests, so I'm not sure where to find them but know I will use them in the fall. Thanks again!